For some reason, I’ve always been a little hesitant to make my own Indian Food, but after whipping up this Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala, I can confidently say– ALL.. okay, (most) of my fears have gone away. I tend to bring the crock pot out during the busiest of weeks, and I’m always amazed at how much easier it makes my life. This meal is seriously so easy and since it has all of the time in the world to soak in the pool of sauce, the chicken is extra tender and the sauce is loaded with all the delicious indian flavors. SO good. For reals.
THIS POST CONTAINS AN AFFILIATE LINK FOR THESE ECO FRIENDLY AND AMAZING COCONUT BOWLS.
The first time I made this dish I was in a crazy hurry (per usual), so I didn’t have time to marinate the chicken in the yogurt and spices, but it still turned out extremely delicious. I wanted to see if there was a difference, so I made this dish again this past weekend with a few adjustments and this was what happened: I marinated the chicken with the yogurt and all the spices for about 1 hour. I then sauteed the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until tender and fragrant. Both of those items were then tossed in the crock pot, and I followed the instructions from there. Yes, i’ll admit- this gave the dish a bit more character, but it wasn’t life changing. I promise you’ll love this dish regardless if you add in that extra step.
This meal is perfect for busy weeknight dinners, or even Sunday night meal prep as it will last in the fridge for up to 4 days. Just make sure to store the rice and chicken separately. I like to serve this dish in my all-time favorite Coconut Bowls, which I also use for smoothie bowls, soups, and so much more. They are the best! Hopefully you enjoy this hearty dish as much as we did! Cheers!
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2- 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 c greek yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1½ T garam masala
- 1 T paprika
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or about ½ tsp fresh ginger)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1- 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 2 c cooked basmati rice
- cilantro, as garnish
- Add onion, garlic, and chicken to your slow cooker.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, tomato sauce, and spices; stir to combine.
- Pour tomato-yogurt mixture over the chicken and onion, and toss to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Pour in the coconut milk; let simmer an additional 20 minutes and serve over Basmati Rice with fresh cilantro.