Soup du jour, you ask? Roasted Red Pepper Gouda Soup. This is one you don’t want to miss!
While brunching with some friends in Denver about a month ago, I had the BEST Roasted Red Pepper Gouda Soup, and instantly knew I wanted and needed to re-create the goodness.
I could have devoured a vat of that stuff. I’m talkin’ the creamiest roasted deliciousness you’ve ever had that would make anyone’s heart flutter.
I was also having quite the time with my best friends AND it was snowing outside which obvi made for an even cozier situation, but I still would have fallen in love and re-created this soup nonetheless.
Do I have to roast my own peppers?
You most certainly don’t have to, however, I would highly recommend it. It only takes about 15-20 minutes and adds SO much flavor. Simply preheat your broiler and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Put peppers directly on top of foil or parchment paper and pop them in the oven!
Roast the peppers for 5-6 minutes per side, or until all sides are black and very charred. Remove from the oven and cover tighly with foil for about 10 minutes or so. Once the peppers have cooled, peel the skin off the peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Slice into strips and voila!
What should I serve this Roasted Red Pepper Gouda Soup with?
I like to serve with homemade Parmesan Croutons, fresh chives, and a big fresh salad. It would also be divine with grilled cheese!Print
Roasted Red Pepper Gouda Soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 3 1x
- 4 T butter
- 3 medium red bell peppers, roasted, skin and seeds removed (can also use jarred roasted red peppers)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 c chicken broth (can sub vegetable broth)
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 c grated gouda cheese
- Chopped chives, as garnish
- Preheat your broiler and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the bell peppers directly onto the foil and roast for about 5 minutes per side, until nicely charred and then rotate until all sides are charred.
- Remove from the oven and tightly cover with foil for about 10 minutes. Once the peppers have cooled, peel the skin off the peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Slice into strips and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 T butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and spices; cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently until carrots are tender.
- Add roasted red peppers and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or transfer to food processor and puree in batches. Return to pot and add cream, gouda, and sugar. Cook over low heat until cheese has melted.
- Serve in bowls with fresh chives and toasted garlic bread.