The question of the week is what to put on this week’s tostada’s…Ohhh, life’s big dilemmas. How about Chicken Chorizo and Crispy Brussels sprouts Tostadas! MMM yum.
But, for real, there are nearly 7,000 different combinations, and they are all equally delish. That is one of the many many reasons I love Tostada Tuesday so much. You can make it entirely your own, and no one can stop you.
I didn’t know what I was getting myself into when i decided to top these crispy little rounds with brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and chorizo, but i’m sure glad that I did. Day made. For this exact point in time, at least. However, if you ask me in an hour, we’ll just need to re-evaluate right then and there. I may be catching up on the latest episode of Parenthood with tears running down my face, but if you ask me right now, I am happy.
You guys, I promise these are easy and so so worth it. You can either pre-make the tostada shells, or you can buy them at the store. I won’t judge you.
Next, you’ll want to pop the squash in the oven to start roastin’. Always always start with the thing that’s going to take the longest. Since the squash needs to roast, do that first and foremost before even thinking about anything else. It will save you time and fingers crossed everything is ready at the same time!
I would get the brussels sprouts shredded and placed in a mixing bowl with the spices and set aside. When the squash has about 10 minutes to go, start browning the chorizo. I used chicken chorizo because it’s a tad healthier and still has so much flavor, but feel free to use what you like best.
Follow remaining steps, and assemble those bad boys. And take a sip of that brew because you did it and are finished! Cheers to you and your tostada.Print
Chicken Chorizo and Crispy Brussels Sprouts Tostadas
For the chorizo:
- 2 T olive or canola oil
- 1 lb ground chicken chorizo
For the butternut squash puree:
- 6 c cubed butternut squash
- 1–2 T olive oil
- 2 T honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 c heavy cream
For the Brussels Sprouts:
- 3 c shaved brussels sprouts
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2–3 T olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the tostadas:
- 6 corn tortillas, or store bought tostada rounds
- 2 avocados, for topping
- 2 jalepenos, for topping
- mexican crema, for topping
- Fresh Cilantro, for topping
- lime wedges, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 and line baking sheet with foil.
- Toss cubed butternut squash with oil, honey, salt, pepper, and cumin. Place onto baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- If you’re making your own tostada shells, brush each side of the tortillas with oil and bake at 400 for 4 minutes per side, or until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large saute pan. Once oil is hot, but not smoking, add chorizo and continue breaking up until cooked all the way through. Set aside.
- Place shaved brussels sprouts into medium sized mixing bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Heat up cast iron skillet.
- When skillet is hot, add brussels sprouts and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Option to top off under the broiler for a minute or two.
- When a toothpick inserts into the squash easily, it’s roasted and ready to roll. Remove from oven and place into mixing bowl or blender.
- Add heavy cream to squash, and puree using either blender or hand blender. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Spread a thin layer of pureed squash onto each tostada, followed by chorizo, brussels sprouts, and allllllll the fixin’s.
- Serve with an ice cold brew, optional.