For some reason, I’ve always been a little hesitant to make my own Indian Food, but after whipping up this Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala, I can confidently say– ALL.. okay, (most) of my fears have gone away. I tend to bring the crock pot out during the busiest of weeks, and I’m always amazed at how much easier it makes my life. This meal is seriously so easy and since it has all of the time in the world to soak in the pool of sauce, the chicken is extra tender and the sauce is loaded with all the delicious indian flavors. SO good. For reals.
This Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe now has Slow Cooker AND Instant Pot Instructions, so take your pick! If you don’t have either, you can use a large skillet and follow the same instructions. Just make sure to simmer long enough for the chicken to cook all the way through. If you are using a crock pot or instant pot and have time to chop up the chicken ahead of time and marinate in the greek yogurt, I would highly recommend it! It makes the chicken really tender and cuts down on some of the prep time later, but absolutely no worries if you don’t have time for that.
This meal is absolutely perfect for busy weeknight dinners, or even Sunday night meal prep as it will last in the fridge for up to 4 days. Just make sure to store the rice and chicken separately. I like to serve this dish in my all-time favorite Coconut Bowls, which I also use for smoothie bowls, soups, and so much more. They really are the best! Feel free to serve this dish with cauliflower rice in place of the jasmine rice for a low-carb option. It’s so delicious either way!
Hopefully you enjoy this hearty dish as much as we do!
Other Recipes to Try!
- 5 Ingredient Chicken Sausage and Rainbow Chard Penne
- Pepperoni Pizza Zucchini Bites
- Chicken Sausage and Orzo Skillet
- Italian Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
This Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala is super easy to make and perfect for those busy weeknights. The sauce is creamy, delicious, and jam packed with flavor. This is one of the best and easiest you will ever try!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- 1.5– 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1– 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 c greek yogurt
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 T garam masala
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 12 oz can unsweetened, full-fat coconut milk
- 2 c cooked basmati rice (or sub cauliflower rice)
- Chopped cilantro, as garnish
- Grilled Naan, for serving
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and chicken to your slow cooker.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, tomato sauce, tomato paste and spices; stir to combine.
- Pour tomato-yogurt mixture over the chicken and onion, and toss to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir; let simmer an additional 15-20 minutes and serve over Rice with fresh cilantro and grilled naan bread.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Press saute function on your instant pot and allow to heat up for 30 seconds. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Now add spice mixture, stir together and cook another 30 seconds or so, until fragrant.
- Press cancel on the instant pot, and add chicken, yogurt, tomato sauce, tomato paste and ginger. Set pressure valve to “sealing”, and cook at high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release, and then carefully lift valve to “venting” and allow remaining pressure to release.
- Pour in coconut milk and stir. Put lid back on for a few more minutes while you prepare the rice and chopped cilantro.
- Serve in bowls with rice, chopped cilantro, and grilled naan bread.