I have a lot of favorite things in life, but Queso Fundido is most definitely up at the top of that list. And I didn’t know it could get any better, but we just took it up another 20 notches by adding crispy chorizo. Yes to the yes. This here my friends is the easiest and most deliciously mouthwatering Queso Fundido con Chorizo you will ever have. Broiled cheese, onions, and peppers topped with crispy chorizo and rolled in a warm tortilla? HECK YESSSSS.
This is the perfect addition to any fiesta or Mexican themed party, hint hint: CINCO DE MAYO. However, keep in mind the cheese will start to harden within about 20 minutes, so I’d serve that baby up right away. It’s unbelievably good when rolled into warm flour tortillas, but also delicious served with tortilla chips as well. Would ya look at that melty goodness?
I sure hope you love this as much as I do!
CAN I GET A:
Queso Fundido con Chorizo
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4–5 1x
- 1 T olive oil
- 8 oz chorizo, casing removed
- 1/3 c white onion, diced
- 1/4 c diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 c Oaxaca cheese, shredded (also called queso quesadilla)
- 1 1/2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Chopped cilantro, as garnish
- Tortilla chips or flour tortillas for serving
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat a medium sized cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add chorizo and cook, breaking up with the back of your spoon until brown and crumbly, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease and set aside.
- Heat oil in a separate small cast iron skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onion and sauté for a few minutes, until translucent. Add green chiles and sauté another minute or so. Remove from heat.
- Add oaxaca and mozzarella cheese on top of onions and chiles. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, pile cooked chorizo to the center and place back under the broiler for an additional 5-6 minutes, until cheese is brown and bubbling.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with tortilla chips or roll up in tortillas!