Happy New Year, everyone! Now that the holidays have come and gone, i’m ready and excited to load up on all the veggies. This warm and cozy pot of Lemon Chicken Detox Soup is the perfect way to start the year off right.
I don’t know about you, but the holidays really wore me out. Don’t get me wrong, I love any excuse to get together with the gals and stay out way too late, however, i’m in desperate need of my beauty sleep and am so pumped to eat clean and green all January.
This Lemon Chicken Detox Soup is the perfect light yet satisfying bowl of goodness. Its loaded with vegetables, shredded chicken, leafy greens, and delicious chicken broth. It’s a great way to cleanse without depriving yourself of nutrients and flavor. Feel free to add any other vegetables you’d like, and if you want to go straight vegetarian, forego the Chicken and use vegetable broth instead. It’s fairly simple to improvise and adjust to your liking, so don’t be shy! Let’s do this 2018!
- 2 T olive oil
- Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken (or 2 1/2 c shredded chicken)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, mined
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 8 c chicken broth
- 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
- 1 c broccoli florets
- 1 c cauliflower florets
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2 handfuls chopped kale
- 1/4 c chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat oil in a large stock pot. When hot, add celery, carrots, onion, shallots, and garlic. Saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini, and saute another 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and spices and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach, kale, parsley, lemon zest and juice, and shredded chicken. Let simmer for another few minutes, or until greens are slightly wilted.