Butternut Squash Noodles with caramelized onions & Mushrooms. If you’ve never tried Butternut squash noodles, now is the time!!
Butternut Squash anything & everything is music to my ears. I mainly love the flavor, but also how versatile it is. You can use it for so many different things and it’s very difficult to mess up. I attempted these butternut squash noodles (as we like to call it, butt noods) one night and by my surprise, has turned into one of our favorite weeknight meals.
Butternut Squash Noodles are tossed in a super creamy & peppery sauce, making for the most delicious bite of yum. A dash of cream here, little salt and pepper there, and you’ve got yourself a delicious 30-minute meal.
I would say the most time consuming/difficult part about this recipe is peeling the squash & spiralizing into noods. I recently purchased a Squash Peeler from Williams Sonoma that works amazingly well, so I highly recommend adding one to your kitchen tools. That is, if you are a Butt Squash lover like myself. You’ll get it down after the first few times, however, did you know they now sell pre-spiralized veggies at most health foods stores? g.a.m.e.c.h.a.n.g.er.
This dish has already become a repeat offender on our weekly menu. It was one of those moments in life that made me want to go back in time and do it all over again. I’m sure you’ve felt that feeling before, yea? I sure hope i’m not alone in this, but if I am, which would be sinful, I will continue to tell myself that.
Feel free to serve with the protein of your choice- i’ve made this dish with both chicken and shrimp, and they were equally delicious. You could even throw in some spicy sausage and call it a day! Now onto the good stuff, the recipe. I hope you love it, and I would absolutely love to hear your feedback. xo.Print
Butternut Squash Noodles with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2 1x
- 2 1/2 c cooked chicken, cubed (or 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled & spiraled into noodles
- 4 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 T butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced (from root to stem)
- 2 c sliced white mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3–4 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt, to taste
Peppery Cream Sauce:
- 1/3 c cream cheese
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 tsp parmesan + a little extra for topping
- 1 heaping tsp pepper
- Heat 2 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add sliced onion and reduce heat to medium low; sauté for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so until golden brown and caramelized.
- While your onions are cooking, take your butternut squash, and cut off the bulbous end the end you will be using. Set bulbous end aside as you will not be spiralizing that part. Now peel the squash completely, so that you get rid of all of the green. Cut this section in half, so it makes it easier to spiralize. Place one half at a time onto spiralizer and spiral away! Set aside spiraled butternut squash.
- In a separate small sauce pan over low-medium heat, add cream cheese, milk, pepper, and Parmesan. Stir occasionaly, and turn heat down once it has become a thicker consistency. You may need to add a little more milk if it becomes too thick.
- Add sliced mushrooms and garlic to skillet with onions, and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add spiralized butternut squash into pan with mushrooms. Stir to combine and saute over medium heat for about 9-10 minutes, until squash has softened.
- Now add the chicken and cream sauce to pan with squash. Give it a good toss and remove from heat.
- Serve in bowls with fresh basil & Parmesan