It’s a gloomy Saturday morning over here, so the perfect day to cuddle up and make breakfast. This Sausage, Mushroom, and Kale Egg White Frittata was thrown together in less than 25 minutes, and is SO delicious.
Believe it or not, Frittata’s are way easier to prepare than omelet’s and way more delicious in my opinion. The best part is they are extremely difficult to mess up-total bonus. You can throw whatever you’d like in there, and it’s bound to be delicious, and you don’t really need to follow a recipe if you feel like goin’ with the flow one morning.
Frittata’s are great for entertaining for many reasons, but to mention a few:
- Easy to prepare
- Pretty presentation
- Made in O N E pan = easy clean up!
- ALWAYS a hit!
Pair the Frittata with a side salad tossed in oil and vinegar or a side of fresh fruit and you are good to go!
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sausage links, cut into bite sized pieces (I used artichoke & parmesan chicken sausage)
- ¾ c white mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 handfuls fresh kale, chopped
- 7 egg whites + 2 tsp water, whisked together
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3-4 T grated parmesan
- Preheat broiler and position the rack about 8 inches from the top.
- Crack the egg whites into a bowl and add 1-2 tsp water, salt, and pepper, and whisk together.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick oven proof skillet. Add the shallot, garlic, sausage, and mushrooms, and cook over moderately high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the kale, and continue cooking until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Evenly scatter the sausage and mushroom mixture on the bottom of the skillet, and Pour in the egg white mixture. Let the mixture set for about 1 minute, then tilt the pan to evenly distribute egg mixture.
- Cook over medium heat for about 4-6 minutes, until the sides are set. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Transfer to broiler and cook an additional 1-2 minutes longer, until egg whites are fully set.
- Cut into wedges and serve!