I wasn’t lying when I said this Roasted Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese Penne was my new fave fall dish because it’s seriously beyond delicious.
Let’s just say it’s freaking FALL-tastic.
Perfectly roasted butternut squash is tossed with sautéed mushrooms, bacon, spinach, goat cheese, fresh basil, and candied pumpkin seeds. Literally the most mouth watering combo of all time.
Fair warning- do not leave me alone with this Butt Squash glory or there will be zero left when you return.
I’ve said it before, and i’m gonna say it again- I love roasted butt squash! Does me saying Butt squash offend you? I apologize if it does, i’m a big fan of abbreviations, and this one is just too good. This pasta has a few different moving parts, but very simple overall.
f i v e easy steps:
Step 1: Roast the Butt Squash
Step 2: Saute onion, garlic, bacon, mushrooms, and spinach
Step 3: Cook the pasta
Step 4: Toss squash with onion mixture, pasta, goat cheese, fresh basil, and candied pumpkin seeds
Step 5: Gobble it up!
If you haven’t jumped on the butternut squash train yet, i’m telling you, now is the time. I literally cannot wait to make this dish again and i’m so pumped for you to try it. Please share with me if you do! I love hearing from you guys.Print
FOR THE ROASTED SQUASH:
- 3 c cubed butternut squash
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
FOR THE PASTA:
- 1–2 T olive oil
- 1 c yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices bacon, sliced crosswise
- 1 c white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 c fresh spinach (arugula would be delicious tossed in at the end also!)
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1–8 oz box Penne Pasta (I used Chickpea Pasta by Banza), cooked per instructions on package, drained and tossed with olive oil
- 1/2 c crumbled goat cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, rolled tightly and sliced into strips
- 1/3 c candied pumpkin seeds (I found these at Trader Joes, but candied pecans would work also)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic, and spread evenly onto parchment paper.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes, until butternut squash is deliciously roasted and a toothpick inserts easily.
- While the squash is roasting, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and bacon. Saute for 5-6 minutes, until bacon is cooked.
- Add spinach to saute pan, and cook until wilted. About 3-4 minutes.
- Separately, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne pasta per instructions on package, drain, toss with 1 T olive oil; set aside.
- Toss mushroom-bacon mixture with the roasted squash, penne pasta, goat cheese, basil, and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.