Wondering what you should make for dinner? Well, let me tell ya about a new delicious creation:
…Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Stuffed Bell Peppers…
I’ve been wanting to share this recipe with you all for quite some time, but time has slipped right on by and i’ve just been totally out of my groove the last couple of months. How on earth is it already almost September? And how on earth are we still not in our house? At least i’m extremely skilled at going with the flow..I’m chill but i’m also not chill, if that makes any sense? My sister kept calling me “Bridechilla” at our wedding so I guess i’m somewhat cool (and weird) in that sense.
Anywho, i’m slowly but surely gettin’ back in the game. I went ahead and whipped out my photography equipment at my brother and sister in laws because I just couldn’t wait another day. The delicious stuffed peps needed to be shown in the spotlight and there was zero time to spare. So, here we are… Ground beef and sweet potato stuffed bell peppers.
They are awesome for weeknight dinners and also make great leftovers if you’re a leftover kinda person. If not, you could easily cut the recipe in half. This is also a fun recipe for a group. Serve with a big side salad and call it a night.
- 4 red bell peppers, tops and seeds removed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 2 T ghee (or olive oil)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 carrots, cut into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 T tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 T chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 c shredded cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese
- Chopped cilantro, as garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9 x 14 baking dish.
- Brown beef in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Drain excess grease and set aside.
- Add ghee to same skillet, and add onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrots, and green bell pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until sweet potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices to pan; stir to combine. Add beef back to pan, toss to combine, and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Fill each pepper half with beef mixture and transfer to greased pan. Sprinkle all stuffed pepper halves with cheese, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until peppers are tender and cheese is slightly golden. Option to broil for remaining 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.