These lightened up Greek Yogurt Chicken Enchiladas are so creamy and delicious, you would never know there isn’t an ounce sour cream! And it’s amazing because you get the benefit of extra protein.
My old roomie came over for dinner the other night, and since we share the same love for Mexican food (and Green Chiles), these enchiladas were an easy and delicious go-to.
Per usual, I used my crockpot for the chicken, so it was ready to shred the minute I walked in the door. From there, all you have to do is quickly prep the sauce, combine your shredded chicken in a mixing bowl with greek yogurt, green chiles, and spices, and assemble! Note: If you want to go straight veg here, just substitute black beans instead of the chicken.
I like to get my sauce started first so it can start to thicken while we prepare the toppings. Chop up your green onions and jalepeño’s and set aside in small bowls. Wait to slice the avocado until your ready to serve so it doesn’t start to brown.
To prepare the sauce, melt the butter in a medium sized sauce pan. When the butter is melted, continually whisk in 3 T flour until there aren’t anymore clumps. Pour in the chicken broth, salt & pepper, and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until sauce has thickened. Now stir in 1 can of green chiles plus 1 cup of greek yogurt, and continue stirring until the sauce is extra smooth and creamy.
It’s important to lightly heat up the tortillas before you start assembling the enchiladas because otherwise they are likely to break apart. To do this, lightly wrap a stack of tortillas in a dish towel and microwave for 30-45 seconds.
Now, let’s assemble!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and ladle a little bit of your greek yogurt sauce into the bottom of the greased casserole dish.
- Place a scoop of the chicken mixture followed by a sprinkle of cheese into each tortilla.
- Roll up and place seam side down into baking dish.
- Pour the remaining greek yogurt sauce all over the tops of the enchiladas followed by remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh cilantro, jalepeno slices, and avocado. Best if served with side salad and an iced cold brew!
- FOR THE ENCHILADAS:
- 12 Siete Almond Flour Tortillas (corn or flour tortillas will work as well!)
- 2 c shredded chicken
- 1 c greek yogurt
- 8 oz can diced green chiles
- 3 c shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- lime wedges, for serving
- Cilantro, as garnish
- jalepenos, as garnish
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 T butter
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1 c greek yogurt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz can green chiles
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease casserole dish; set aside.
- To make the Greek Yogurt Sauce, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When butter is melted, whisk in flour until creamy.
- Add chicken broth and spices to the saucepan, and stir.
- Now add greek yogurt and green chiles and reduce heat to medium-low, stirring every few minutes until it has thickened. Reduce heat to low and let simmer while you prepare the chicken, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, garlic, greek yogurt, green chiles, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Heat up tortillas by wrapping in a dish towel and microwaving for about 30-40 seconds.
- Ladle a little greek yogurt sauce into the bottom of your casserole dish.
- To assemble, place a little shredded chicken and cheese into each tortilla, roll up and place seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining sauce all over the tops of enchiladas followed by cheese. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Option to top with cilantro, green onions, avocado slices, and jalapeno’s.