- 2 T butter
- 3 medium red bell peppers, roasted, skin and seeds removed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 c chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 3/4 c Gouda cheese, grated
- Chopped chives, as garnish
- Preheat your broiler and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the bell peppers directly onto the foil and roast for about 5 minutes per side, until nicely charred and then rotate until all sides are charred.
- Remove from the oven and tightly cover with foil for about 10 minutes. Once the peppers have cooled, peel the skin off the peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Slice into strips and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot; cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until carrots are tender.
- Add roasted red peppers, broth, and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or transfer to food processor and puree in batches. Return to pot and add cream, gouda, and sugar. Cook over low heat until cheese has melted.
- Serve in bowls with fresh chives and toasted garlic bread.