One Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- 2–3 T olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1– 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1– 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 T tomato paste
- 3 c veggie or chicken broth, more as needed
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 12–14 basil leaves, roughly torn
- 7 T butter, more or less to taste
- 1 c heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium high heat. Add onion and shallots and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook another 30-45 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and spices; bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add butter and basil and stir until butter is melted. Using a handheld blender (transfer to stand blender if you don’t have one), puree until smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream and adjust salt and pepper to taste.