This One Pot Tomato Basil Soup is extra creamy, comforting, and so delicious. Perfect for a cozy day bundled up by the fire but quick enough for busy weeknight dinners as well. Absolutely perfect for the whole family!
This soup is made in just ONE pot and ready in under 30 minutes. Minimal mess and ultimate coziness!
How do you make One Pot Tomato Basil Soup?
- Start by heating a few T olive oil in a large dutch oven. Sauté onion and shallots for 3-4 minutes until soft and fragrant. My favorite Dutch oven is my 5.5 Qt Le Creuset because it can be used for anything and everything! I seriously don’t know what I would do without it.
- Next, add in the garlic and cook another 30-45 seconds until fragrant, but being careful not to burn it.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes, the broth, and add in the spices; give it a toss and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add butter and fresh basil and then using an immersion blender, puree until smooth and creamy.
- Last but not least, stir in cream and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, preferably with a grilled cheese and ENJOY!!
One Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- 2–3 T olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1– 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1– 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 T tomato paste
- 3 c veggie or chicken broth, more as needed
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 12–14 basil leaves, roughly torn
- 7 T butter, more or less to taste
- 1 c heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium high heat. Add onion and shallots and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook another 30-45 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and spices; bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add butter and basil and stir until butter is melted. Using a handheld blender (transfer to stand blender if you don’t have one), puree until smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream and adjust salt and pepper to taste.