- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1–2 inch pieces
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 3–4 c broccoli florets
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 1/2 T soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced (or ginger paste from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T hoisin sauce
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 T vegetable or grapeseed oil
- 4 Green onions, green parts only, sliced at diagonal
- Sesame seeds, as garnish
- Jasmine Rice for serving (Can sub cauliflower rice)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, sugar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, stir to combine.
- Heat 1-2 T vegetable or grapeseed oil in a large non stick skillet or WOK over high heat. When the oil is hot, add onion and broccoli florets and saute for a 2-3 minutes until bright green but still slightly crisp. Transfer to a plate.
- Reheat another T of oil in skillet or WOK. When hot, add the chicken and cook until no longer pink. (3-4 minutes)
- Add the sauce, broccoli florets, and water chestnuts to skillet and toss to combine. Cook another few minutes.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Transfer stir fry to a serving platter, and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Option to serve with Jasmine or Cauliflower rice.