Creamy White Bean Soup with Kale and Pancetta
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- 3–4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 1/2– 4 c vegetable broth
- 3– 15 oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, to taste
- 1 c full fat coconut milk (can sub cashew milk, whole milk, heavy cream or any other non-dairy milk)
- 4–5 cups shredded kale
- Grated Parmesan
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium high heat. Add pancetta and cook until pancetta is golden and crispy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until veggies are tender.
- Pour in chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with your spoon. Add beans, remaining seasonings, and zest and juice of lemon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 -15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and kale, and cook 3-4 more minutes. Adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve warm in bowls with freshly grated parmesan and chopped parsley.
- Pancetta- if you cannot find pancetta at your local grocery store, feel free to sub bacon. About 4 slices, cut into bite sized pieces should be good!
- Coconut milk- I love the flavor the coconut milk adds to the soup, however, you can easily sub heavy cream or whole milk if you would prefer.