- 1–2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb bulk spicy italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds and quartered
- 6 c chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 3/4 tsp salt, more or less to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 3/4 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 c heavy cream (sub nut pods or coconut milk for whole 30/non-dairy alternative)
- 1 bunch of curly leaf kale, stems removed and chopped
- Grated parmesan, for serving
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, add sausage and cook, breaking up with the back of your spoon until fully cooked and crumbly. Drain all but 1 T of the grease.
- Add onion and garlic to the pot and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add potatoes, broth, and spices; and boil for 7-9 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Reduce heat to medium low, stir in heavy cream and kale; simmer for 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Serve in bowls with grated parmesan.