FOR THE ROASTED SQUASH:
- 3 c cubed butternut squash
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
FOR THE PASTA:
- 1–2 T olive oil
- 1 c yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices bacon, sliced crosswise
- 1 c white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 c fresh spinach (arugula would be delicious tossed in at the end also!)
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1–8 oz box Penne Pasta (I used Chickpea Pasta by Banza), cooked per instructions on package, drained and tossed with olive oil
- 1/2 c crumbled goat cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, rolled tightly and sliced into strips
- 1/3 c candied pumpkin seeds (I found these at Trader Joes, but candied pecans would work also)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic, and spread evenly onto parchment paper.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes, until butternut squash is deliciously roasted and a toothpick inserts easily.
- While the squash is roasting, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and bacon. Saute for 5-6 minutes, until bacon is cooked.
- Add spinach to saute pan, and cook until wilted. About 3-4 minutes.
- Separately, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne pasta per instructions on package, drain, toss with 1 T olive oil; set aside.
- Toss mushroom-bacon mixture with the roasted squash, penne pasta, goat cheese, basil, and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.