These Haricots Verts with Bacon and Crispy Fried Shallots are the perfect side dish to a variety of grilled meats, and the perfect addition to your Holiday Spread!
- 3–4 T canola oil
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 lbs Haricots Verts
- 5 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the haricots verts to boiling water and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes. Drain the beans and immediately put into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon in a large cast iron skillet until crisp, 5-6 minutes. Remove the bacon and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Remove all but 1 T bacon grease from the pan.
- Add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes to the pan and saute until translucent and soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add haricots verts back to pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until they slowly become golden brown and crispy. Be careful not to burn. Drain the shallots and set aside.
- Return the bacon to the pan of haricots verts, squeeze in the lemon, and toss to combine. Top with crispy shallots, season with salt and pepper and serve!