Chicken Enchiladas Verdes with Pineapple Salsa
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 4-5 1x
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 12 tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 2 serrano peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 jalepeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1–2 handfuls of cilantro
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/3 c chicken broth
FOR THE ENCHILADAS:
- 2 c shredded chicken (I used a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 8 Siete Foods Almond Flour tortillas
- 1 c shredded pepper jack cheese, optional
- 1 haas avocado, sliced
FOR THE PINEAPPLE MANGO SALSA:
- 2 c diced pineapple
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and diced
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1/2 c chopped cilantro
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven broiler and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse to remove any stickiness.
- Arrange tomatillos, onion, and peppers on baking sheet. Wrap garlic tightly in foil and place onto baking sheet as well.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning every 6-7 minutes until all sides of tomatillos and onion are nicely charred.
- Transfer roasted tomatillos, onions, peppers, and garlic to a blender, including juices. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt, cumin, and chicken broth; pulse until smooth.
- Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees.
- Toss shredded chicken with diced poblano and 3/4 c tomatillo salsa, set aside.
- Ladle 1/2 c tomatillo salsa into the bottom of your greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Wrap tortillas in a dish towel and microwave for 15-20 seconds to warm them up a bit to prevent them from breaking.
- Now add chicken mixture to each tortilla, roll up, and place seam side down into casserole dish. Pour 2 c tomatillo salsa over the tops of the enchiladas, followed by the cheese (if you are using).
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove and bake an additional 8 minutes, and then broil for the last 2 minutes.
- While the enchiladas are baking, prepare your pineapple mango salsa by tossing everything together in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove the enchiladas from the oven and top with sliced avocado and pineapple mango salsa. Serve immediately and enjoy!!