This Vegetable Beef Soup is a classic, must have recipe that I adapted from my grandma (we called her Zsa Zsa) recipe. It’s hearty, healthy, and incredibly delicious.
This is my all time favorite Vegetable Beef Soup recipe! It’s a rendition of my grandmother, Zsa Zsa’s recipe, and is truly one of a kind. It’s loaded with goodness and full of flavor. Hop in your pj’s and grab a bowl, and I can assure you will be in heaven.
Filled with tender chunks of beef, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, leeks, potatoes, corn, peas, green beans, tomatoes, beef broth, cabbage, and a few delicious spices.
I told you…. lots of goodness going on in that pot over here.
I absolutely love making this soup on Sunday’s and letting it simmer away on the stove while I get some house chores done for the week. Not to mention it makes the house smell like a cozy dream, and what’s not to love about that!
What you will need for this Easy Vegetable Beef Soup:
- Beef Stew Meat (for the sake of time, I buy my stew meat pre-cut at the store, however, you could always buy a chuck roast and cut it up yourself)
- Russet Potato
- Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Beef Broth
- Bay Leaves
- Worcestershire sauce
- Frozen corn, green beans, and peas
- Shredded green cabbage
- Italian seasoning and garlic powder
I hope you absolutely love this recipe as much as I do! It most definitely brings me back to my childhood eating big bowls of this soup at my grandma’s with saltines- yum!! As much as I love this soup with saltine crackers, warm crusty bread pairs perfectly with it as well.
As always, if you try this soup, a comment and review below is SO very appreciated. It’s so helpful to me and other readers. Thank you so much for being here! xo, Lindsay
Other Easy Soup recipes to try!
- Zuppa Toscana
- One Pot Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- One Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- Spicy Italian Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 3–4 T olive oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 T)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 leek, white parts only, sliced in half lengthwise then thinly sliced
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1– 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 32 oz beef broth
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cup frozen green beans
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Stove Top Instructions:
- Generously season beef stew meat with salt and pepper. Heat up a few T olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium high heat; brown the beef for 3-4 minutes until all sides are golden. You may need to do this in 2 batches. Transfer beef to a bowl on the side.
- Add another 1-2 T olive oil to dutch oven and add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, leeks, and potato; sauté for 4-5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste until incorporated, then add in broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and spices, and give it a stir.
- Add beef back to pot and stir it all together. Put the lid on and simmer on the lowest heat for 1-2 hours. (the longer the better! If you have the time, just let it simmer on the stove for as long as you can. The longer you simmer, the more tender the beef will be) *perfect time to do some laundry, read a book, or watch a show and let that goodness simmer away.
- Add frozen corn, cabbage, peas, and green beans in the last 45 minutes-hour before serving.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve in bowls with crusty bread or saltine crackers!
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large dutch oven or skillet over medium high heat. Add beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, until brown on all sides. You may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Transfer browned meat to crockpot along with onion, garlic, carrots, celery, leek, potato, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, and seasonings. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Add frozen corn, cabbage, peas, and green beans in the last 45 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper and serve with crusty bread or crackers!