Tomatillo Chicken & Rice Bowls errrrrrrbody.
Let’s get real, I just don’t have the time for extravagant weekend night meals anymore. SO- I’m getting more creative with prep ahead items and let me tell ya: total GAME.CHANGER.
A few weekends ago, I had the time to actually meal prep for the first time in forever. It felt so good to have breakfast and lunch completely done and ready for the week. I also made a batch of my Roasted Tomatillo Salsa and doubled the amount of chicken when making my Skinny Chicken Salad. I basicially just divided up the plain shredded chicken before adding all of the other ingredients for the chicken salad. It’s so convenient to be able to reach in the fridge and already have shredded chicken waiting for you. You could add it to soups, salads, enchiladas, tacos, etc.
When it came time for dinner, I added about a cup and a half of my Roasted Tomatillo salsa to the shredded chicken and that was that! Then simply assemble the bowls with rice, chicken, tomatoes, avocado, and any and all toppings! Enjoy!!
Tomatillo Chicken & Rice Bowls
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 3–4 1x
FOR THE BOWLS:
- 1 c white rice (can also sub cauliflower rice for low-carb option)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (can also use rotisserie chicken)
- 2 c Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (recipe below, can also use store bought roasted salsa verde)
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Cherry tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, green onion, lime wedges, jalapeños, sour cream, salsa
FOR THE SALSA:
- 10–12 tomatillos, husk removed and washed
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 2 serrano peppers, stems removed
- 2 jalepenos, stems removed
- Juice of 1–2 limes
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 2 large handfuls cilantro
- To prepare the salsa, line baking sheet with foil and pre-heat broiler.
- Place tomatillos, onions, Serrano’s, and jalepenos on baking sheet and roast until all sides are nicely charred. Turn once tops are charred until all sides are nicely roasted… (about 20-25 minutes)
- Toss everything in the blender/food processor including juices, and add lime juice, salt, and cilantro. Pulse until desired consistency is acheived.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken and 1 1/2 c tomatillo salsa.
- To assemble the bowls, add rice to each bowl followed by chicken and toppings of choice!