This Super Easy 5 Ingredient Baked Mexican Chicken is juicy, delicious, and absolutely perfect for those busy weeknights. Only 5 simple ingredients and a few minutes of prep work needed before popping into the oven.
This recipe truly couldn’t be any easier. You may even already have all of the ingredients on hand without any planning beforehand. Don’t you love when that happens?!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 chicken cutlets (or two large chicken breasts)
- Taco seasoning
- 1 Jar of your favorite red salsa
- Shredded cheddar cheese (or any shredded cheese you have on hand!)
- Chopped cilantro, as garnish
What is a chicken cutlet?
A chicken cutlet is essentially a chicken breasts that has been cut in half lengthwise and pounded to a somewhat even thickness. I typically always buy store-bought chicken cutlets at the grocery store so it makes it easy peasy. They are usually labeled “thin-cut”
If you cannot find chicken pre-cut into cutlets, don’t fret. Make sure to use a sharp knife when slicing the chicken in half to ensure it cuts and doesn’t tear the chicken.
Start by placing the chicken breast onto its side on your cutting board. Starting at the thicker end, slice horizontally all the way through until you have two thin pieces of chicken.
Can I use green salsa instead of red?
Of course you can! This recipe works with any and all salsa! Choose your favorite and go to town. *Note: If you decide to use green salsa, I would suggest using a pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese instead of cheddar cheese.
This Super Easy 5 Ingredient Baked Mexican Chicken pairs well with so many things!
Here are a few ways you could serve it!
- With black beans and rice
- Cauliflower Rice and veggies
- Made into tacos
- Made into taco Salads
- Made into Burrito Bowls
The Possibilities are endless. This is an all-round perfect meal– it’s easy, delicious, healthy, and one the whole family will absolutely love!Print
Super Easy 5 Ingredient Baked Mexican Chicken
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 chicken cutlets (or 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 T taco seasoning
- 1–12 oz jar red salsa of choice
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped cilantro, as garnish
- Salt + Pepper
- black beans and rice
- cauliflower rice and roasted veggies
- on top of salad
- Slice up for tacos
- eat by itself!!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease casserole dish.
- Season cutlets really well with salt and pepper then arrange into casserole dish.
- Top with taco seasoning and then pour entire jar of salsa over the tops on the chicken.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 25-30 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees and juices run clear (plus/minus a few minutes depending on the size of your chicken!)
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve!