I want you, I need you, oh baby oh baby, says me to this Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms, Red Pepper, and Goat Cheese on a random Tuesday eve in January.
This week has really been a doozy and it’s only Tuesday… i’m not entirely sure why to be honest, it’s just one of those weeks that’s going slower than ever imaginable. But i’m gonna do what I always do and keep on truckin’. Life wouldn’t be nearly as fun if we weren’t running around like chickens with our heads cut off half the time, would it?
This bowl of goodness was an impromptu Tuesday night dinner that I threw together with a few things in my fridge and it turned into an outrageously fresh and delicious new family fave! If I think too hard about what I want to make, I often get overwhelmed and my mind starts to spin, and i’ve found that if I just turn on some tunes and get to cooking, something will happen and hopefully that something is delicious.
This spontaneous concoction should 1000% be on your menu because wowsers, it’s so yummy. When making spaghetti squash, I always get that going first since it takes a good 40 minutes to roast. Meanwhile, heat a few tsp of ghee or olive oil in a medium skillet. Saute shallots, garlic, red pepper, and mushrooms for 4-6 minutes. Add in salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and stir to combine. When squash is done roasting, fork it into a large mixing bowl, and add in mushroom mixture, fresh basil, and goat cheese; toss to combine and serve.
As you can see this is a vegetarian dish, however, it’s also extremely yummy with grilled chicken or sausage!
Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms, Red Pepper, and Goat Cheese
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2–3 1x
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1–2 T ghee or olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 c basil leaves, rolled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 c crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 9 x 14 baking dish.
- Place each spaghetti squash half cut side down onto baking sheet, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a medium sized skillet. When hot, add shallots and cook for 1 minute. Now add garlic, mushrooms, red bell pepper, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute an additional 4-5 minutes.
- When squash is done roasting, use a fork to separate strands and place into a large serving bowl. Toss with sautéed mushroom red pepper mixture, basil and goat cheese, and season with more salt and pepper if needed.