This Slowly Braised Short Rib Ragu Recipe is the ultimate cozy meal. Trust me when I say it is melt in your mouth delicious and perfect for special occasions!
This Slowly Braised Short Rib Ragu isn’t your typical pasta- it’s EXCEPTIONALLY delicious and one your friends and family will be raving about. It’s lovely to let slow cook on a Sunday but also perfect for any and all special occasions; Christmas Dinner, NYE dinner, Valentine’s Day, Anniversary dinner at home, etc. It’s the ultimate comfort food and I can assure you will LOVE it.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
This is a longer ingredient list than most of my recipes, but trust me on this one! It’s a special recipe and I’m so excited for you to try it.
- Bone-in beef short ribs. (have the butcher cut into 2-3 inch pieces)
- Yellow onion.
- Red wine. (I used cabernet)
- Whole peeled San Marzano Tomatoes.
- Tomato paste.
- Sun-dried tomatoes.
- Bay leaves.
- Italian seasoning.
- Dried basil.
- Dried oregano.
- Fresh rosemary.
- Fresh thyme.
- Red pepper flakes.
- Salt and Pepper.
- Parmesan rind. Plus grated parmesan for serving.
- Pasta. I prefer pappardelle, but any pasta of choice will work
- Parsley. For serving.
If there is any recipe to make this Fall/Winter, it’s this one! You will need about 25-35 minutes of hands on prep time, but the rest is hands off! You will simply pop it in the oven to slow cook for 3 hours. Your house will smell like absolute heaven and dinner will be ready in no time while you enjoy your guests company. I made this for our family Christmas this year and it was a major HIT. Perfectly filling, incredibly delicious, and stress-free! The way all days with family should be.
I hope you absolutely LOVE this recipe. If you make, I would love to hear from you! A star rating and comment/review below is always so very appreciated. Thank you for the support!
Other pasta recipes to try!
- Roasted Butternut squash pasta with Italian Sausage and Spinach
- No-Boil Creamy baked Pasta
- Cacio e Pepe Ravioli with sautéed mushrooms and arugula
- 5 Ingredient Italian Sausage Cauliflower Gnocchi Bake
- 5 Ingredient Easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe
Slowly Braised Short Rib Ragu Recipe
This Slowly Braised Short Rib Ragu Recipe is a MUST MAKE recipe. It’s melt in your mouth delicious, cozy, comforting, and perfect for a stress free dinner party. Your guests will LOVE IT.
- Prep Time: 35
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 35 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4–4.5 lbs bone-in beef short ribs (have the butcher cut into 2–3 inch pieces)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 bottle red wine (cabernet or italian blend)
- 2– 28 oz cans whole peeled san Marzano tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, oil drained and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3–4 springs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Parmesan rind
- 1 1/2–2 lbs pasta, I prefer pappardelle, but any pasta of choice will work
- 4–5 T butter
- Grated Parmesan and chopped parsley, for serving
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange short ribs on a plate or cutting board; pat dry and then season all sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2-3 T olive oil in a dutch oven over high heat. Sear the ribs on all sides, working in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Transfer browned ribs to a clean plate on the side.
- Reduce heat to medium high, then add onion, shallots, garlic, carrots, and celery; sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in red wine to deglaze the pan, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes, and all spices and herbs. Give it a stir then nestle short ribs back into the pot so that they are fully covered by sauce.
- Add parmesan rind to the sauce, cover with the lid and transfer to the oven for 3-3.5 hours.
- Carefully remove the pot from the oven, and discard the parmesan rind, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs.
- Shred the beef ribs, discard the bones and add meat to the sauce. Option to transfer the pot back to the oven while you prepare the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta per instructions on the package. Drain, add back to the pot and toss with butter until well coated.
- When you are ready to serve, add Short Rib Ragu sauce to pasta and toss to coat. Serve in bowls with chopped parsley, grated parmesan and extra sauce!
*If you would prefer to make this in your slow cooker or crock pot, you can absolutely do so. Make sure to sear the ribs before adding to the slow cooker and I would suggest slow cooking for 8-9 hours on low setting. You can follow all other instructions!
Keywords: Slowly Braised Short Rib Ragu, pasta, short rib ragu recipe