This Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Italian Sausage and Spinach is the perfect Fall pasta. It’s simple, incredibly flavorful, and so delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Butternut squash. I buy mine pre-cubed at the store to save a little time, however you could dice yourself if you’d prefer.
- Pasta. I used the cute pumpkin shaped pasta from Trader Joe’s, however, that is a seasonal item so if you can’t find it any pasta will work!
- Spicy Italian sausage. You can use mild Italian sausage and add red pepper flakes to the ones that like a little spice!
- Garlic Cloves. Fresh garlic is best, however, any garlic will work.
- Spinach. Tossing with arugula just before serving is a great optional also!
- Parmesan. Nutritional Yeast is a vegan food product that is often used for vegan cheese sauce flavoring so you can substitute that if you want to leave the cheese out.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil. Avocado Oil could be used as well.
- Pasta Water. One of the main reasons it’s good to reserve a little pasta water before draining is because it
- Red pepper flakes. Optional.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Simple. I love a simple pasta sauce and this one is a keeper. There’s no need to over-complicate it when you have high quality ingredients.
- Fall Flavors. This dish screams fall! With roasted squash and spicy Italian sausage, the flavors in this pasta are just incredible!
- Healthy. I believe everything in moderation. This dish is well-rounded, balanced, and for the most part really healthy! If you want to cut out the carbs, there are many pasta swap options these days.
- Easy. There are a few moving parts to this dish, but nothing you can’t handle! Have a plan beforehand and you will be ready to rock and roll!
- Satisfying. The perfect meal if you ask me!
- Delicious. SO good! Try for yourself!
How to make this Creamy Roasted Squash Pasta!
- Arrange Butternut Squash onto a parchment lined baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Roasted at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta per instructions on the package. Make sure to reserve a little pasta water before draining, then set aside.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook sausage until fully cooked through. Add fresh garlic, roasted squash from the sheet pan, and an entire bag of spinach. Toss until spinach is wilted and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add sausage mixture to cooked pasta along with parmesan cheese and a little reserved pasta water until creamy. Serve in bowls with more parmesan and red pepper flakes. And ENJOY!!!
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes to try!
- No-Boil Creamy Baked Pasta
- 5 Ingredient Italian Sausage Cauliflower Gnocchi Bake
- 5 Ingredient Easy Skillet Lasagna
- 5 Ingredient Creamy Beef and Shells
- Creamy Butternut Squash Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Kale
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Italian Sausage and Spinach
This Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Italian Sausage and Spinach is the perfect Fall dish. It’s easy, healthy, and so satisfying! Perfect for busy weeknights.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stove top, oven
- Cuisine: Pasta
- 12 oz cubed butternut squash
- 14 oz pasta, I used the pumpkin shaped pasta from Trader Joe’s but any will work!
- 1 lb spicy italian sausage
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1–5 oz bag spinach
- 1 cup grated parmesan, more or less to taste
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes for serving, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line sheetpan with parchment paper. Arrange butternut squash onto sheetpan, toss with a few T olive oil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook pasta per instructions on package, reserve 1/4 cup pasta water then drain and set aside.
- Heat 1-2 T olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with the back of your spoon until fully cooked through.
- Add garlic to skillet and cook another minute or two. Toss in roasted butternut squash and spinach and toss until spinach starts to wilt. You may need to add spinach in batches if it won’t fit in your skillet at first. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach mixture to cooked pasta along with grated parmesan and a splash or two of pasta water; toss to combine.
- Serve with more grated parmesan and red pepper flakes. Enjoy!!!
*If you don’t like spicy or are serving to someone who doesn’t like spicy, feel free to sub milk Italian Sausage. You can always spice up individual bowls by adding red pepper flakes.
Keywords: Pasta, fall pasta dish, roasted butternut squash pasta