This Plant Based Mexican Picadillo with Cauliflower Rice is made in just ONE skillet, ready and on the table in 30 minutes or less!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY HODO. ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN.
If you’ve been around for awhile, you know I love Mexican food, one skillet meals, and anything that’s ready in under 30 minutes. This Plant Based Mexican Picadillo with Cauliflower Rice is just that, and I’m so excited to share it with you today.
Life is busy enough as it is, so the easier it is to get dinner on the table, the better.
As you probably know, Alessandro and I definitely eat meat, however, often times we like to mix it up and eat meatless 1-2 nights a week, sometimes more & sometimes less. I recently found a new plant-based meat alternative that is SO good and has the texture and consistency of ground meat, not to mention amazing flavor and super easy to prepare.
Enter Hodo’s newest product– Adobo Mexican Crumbles! They are gluten free, plant-based, vegan, USDA certified organic, super flavorful, and have 13g of protein per serving, which is amazing. They can be found at all Whole Foods Stores making it nice and convenient for us!
Mexican picadillo is typically made with ground beef and potatoes, however, I subbed the new Hodo Adobo Mexican Crumbles in place of the beef to make it vegan and plant-based, and let me tell ya-it’s absolutely delicious!
I love that the crumbles are pre-seasoned with traditional Mexican flavors making it so easy to prepare a plant-based fiesta! Perfect for tacos, taco bowls, sweet potato bowls, egg scrambles (one of our favorites!), or this Mexican Picadillo. They are really versatile and super tasty!
How do you make this Mexican Picadillo?
Start by heating a few T olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, and quickly brown the Adobo Mexican Crumbles just like you would any other ground meat. The crumbles are pre-cooked, however, cooking them in oil for a few minutes helps to release the flavors and crisp it up a bit.
Transfer the crumbles to a bowl on the side, then add the veggies and cook for 7-9 minutes until they start to soften. Add seasonings, broth, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and simmer for a few minutes until the liquid reduces and mixture is creamy. Toss the crumbles back in and serve with cauliflower rice and toppings of choice! So flavorful, healthy, and delicious!
I hope you enjoy!
THANK YOU AGAIN TO HODO FOR SPONSORING THIS POST!Print
Plant Based Mexican Picadillo with Cauliflower Rice
- 3–4 T Olive oil
- 1 package of Hodo Abobo Mexican Crumbles (found at Whole Foods)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced into bite sized cubes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
For serving: cauliflower rice, lime, cilantro, avocado, jalapeño (optional)Scale
- Heat a few T olive oil in a large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add Mexican Crumbles and brown like you would any other ground meat until crisped to your liking. Transfer to a bowl on the side.
- Using the same skillet, add a little more oil, then add onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrot, and potato. Sauté for 7-9 minutes, until veggies start to soften. Add in spices and toss to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium low, then pour in vegetable broth, tomato sauce, and stir in tomato paste. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until liquid has reduced and all veggies are cooked. Adjust salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, toss Adobo Mexican Crumbles back into skillet and serve with cauliflower rice and toppings of choice.