This Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Zucchini Bread is incredibly moist, easy to make, and SO delicious!
This easy zucchini banana bread recipe is one to keep in your back pocket. It’s a wonderful way to use overly ripe bananas you may have lying around. It’s an easy on-the-go breakfast recipe, but also great for an afternoon snack or late night treat.
I especially love that it has an entire zucchini in it, it’s naturally sweetened with banana and maple syrup, and has smooth and creamy peanut butter for a boost of protein. And of course some chocolate chips for good measure because who doesn’t like chocolate in their banana bread!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This zucchini banana bread recipe is simple, moist, and healthier than most traditional banana bread recipes. You will LOVE IT!
- Ripe bananas. Very ripe bananas are the way to go. If your bananas aren’t ripe enough, you can always bake them in the oven to quickly ripen them. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes or until dark brown and very soft.
- Zucchini. Leave the skin on the zucchini and grate/shred it, then squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Butter. (can sub coconut oil, apple sauce, or other oil)
- Eggs. If you wanted an eggless banana bread recipe, you could try flax egg which is just flaxseed meal and water.
- Maple syrup. You can use brown sugar as well.
- Vanilla. Try making your own vanilla extract next time by combining vodka and vanilla beans in a jar and let sit out (covered) for 2-3 months.
- Baking soda.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon Banana bread is the best!
- Peanut butter. I’ve found creamy peanut butter to work best. Trader Joe’s has a great organic peanut butter that only has peanuts and salt in it.
- Chocolate chips.
I prefer to sweeten my quick breads with maple syrup, however, you could always use light or dark brown sugar as well. I used butter in this particular recipe, however, I love using apple sauce in quick bread recipes as well as coconut oil. All 3 work perfectly, it just depends on your preference!
Do you peel the skin off of the zucchini?
Nope! Simply take your whole zucchini and grate it directly onto a plate, dishtowel, or paper towel. You will then want to squeeze out all of the extra moisture out of the shredded zucchini into the dish towel or paper towel. This will help the bread to cook thoroughly and not become mushy.
Recipe Variations or Swaps
- Gluten Free– if you need to make this banana zucchini bread gluten free, I would recommend using a 1:1 gluten free baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill or Trader Joe’s 1:1 GF flour!
- Sweetener swaps– if you don’t have maple syrup, you can use brown sugar for the sweetener and it will be delicious.
- Nuts– Walnuts or pecans would be a great addition!
I hope you love love love this recipe! As always, if you make this recipe, a review and comment below is SO greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for being here and for the support! xo, LindsayPrint
Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Zucchini Bread
This Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Zucchini Bread is incredibly moist, easy to make, and SO delicious.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 55
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 5-6 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: n/a
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini), squeezed of excess moisture (easiest to do this in a paper towel or dish cloth)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (can sub coconut oil, apple sauce, or other oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (the organic creamy kind from Trader Joe’s is the best)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, more or less depending on preference!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add banana to large mixing bowl and mash with a fork until creamy. Add eggs, butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and peanut butter; stir until mixed really well.
- Add in your dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon; stir to combine.
- Fold in zucchini and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until toothpick inserts and comes out clean. Enjoy!!
Keywords: Banana bread, zucchini banana bread, banana zucchini bread, quick breads