You guys know I love a good quick & easy weeknight meal. This Panko Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad is just that! I made the dressing ahead of time, so the entire meal took me less than 20 minutes. Simply dip each chicken breast (either pounded slightly with a meat mallet or purchased already thinly sliced) into flour, then egg, then the panko mixture. Then transfer each chicken breast to a hot skillet with a generous amount of oil. The oil is what’s going to help it crisp up, so make sure you have a few tablespoons swirled into the pan; add more as needed. I used Chosen Foods Avocado Oil because it has a higher smoke point than olive oil, however, you could still use olive oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil.
Once the chicken is cooked (about 4 minutes per side), transfer to a paper towel lined plate so that it can absorb any excess oil while you prep the salad. I would suggest making the dressing before you start the cooking process, so your chicken doesn’t get too cold while you prep the salad.
Toss a bowl of fresh arugula with dressing and set aside. To serve, transfer chicken to a plate and top with arugula salad, shaved parmesan, and a lemon wedge. This meal is delicious on it’s own, however, you could easily add some roasted broccolini, grilled zucchini, or pesto pasta on the side. SO yum and perfect for summer!Print
20 minute Panko Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad. Fast and healthy weeknight dinner that the entire family will love!
For the chicken:
- 3–4 T avocado oil, more as needed to prevent burning (can also use olive oil)
- 1 lb chicken cutlets, pounded thin or purchased thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c quinoa flour (can sub all-purpose flour or any other flour)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 c Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c Grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the arugula salad:
- 3/4 c olive oil
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/3 c grated parmesan
- 4–5 handfuls of fresh arugula
- First prepare the dressing by combing first 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulsing until smooth. You can also whisk all ingredients together in a bowl if you don’t want to mess with the blender. Store covered in fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Set up breading station using 3 shallow bowls; one with the flour, one with the egg, and one with panko, parmesan, italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season each chicken breast generously with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour, followed by the egg, and then the panko. Transfer to hot skillet and cook for 4 minutes per side, until golden and crispy. Keep an eye on these so they do not burn. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- When chicken is done, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate while you prep the arugula salad.
- Toss a large bowl of arugula with lemon garlic dressing and shaved parmesan.
- Serve chicken on a plate drizzled with a lemon wedge and topped with arugula salad.