This dish, my friends, is an absolute winner! One Skillet Spinach and Artichoke Chicken with Orzo– filled with juicy chicken, marinated artichokes, lemony orzo, and fresh spinach.
This one-pan dinner doesn’t get much easier or more delicious! It’s made in just one pot and comes together in under 30 minutes. It’s quick and simple enough for busy weeknights, but has a fancy flare that would be perfect for dinner parties as well.
Don’t want to use wine?
No problem! You can substitute an equal amount of chicken broth in place of the wine.
What can you use in place of chicken thighs?
I love using chicken thighs in this recipe because they get a crispy exterior but still remain tender and juicy, however, you can substitute chicken cutlets (a chicken cutlet is a chicken breast halved horizontally or just thinly sliced chicken breasts) and follow the instructions from there.
Is orzo an absolute must?
You don’t have to use orzo by any means, however, it pairs perfectly with the juicy chicken and artichokes. You could also use any small pasta, couscous, or rice. Just be prepared to adjust the cook time depending on what you choose.
LOVE ONE SKILLET RECIPES? TRY THESE!
- 5 INGREDIENT CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND ORZO
- CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND ORZO PARMESAN
- 5 INGREDIENT CAULIFLOWER GNOCCHI SKILLET WITH CORN AND TOMATOES
- TURKEY TACO ORZO SKILLET
- ONE POT HAMBURGER HELPER
- 5 INGREDIENT ITALIAN SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SKILLET
Spinach Artichoke Chicken and Orzo Skillet
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4–5 1x
- 3–4 T olive oil, more as needed
- 1–1.5 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken thighs (about 5–6 thighs)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T butter
- 1 1/2 c dried orzo
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 c dry white wine (I used pinot Grigio)
- 1–12 oz jar marinated artichokes, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3–4 handfuls fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, for serving, optional
- Parmesan, for serving, optional
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken all over with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes per side, until golden. Transfer to a clean plate on the side.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add butter, garlic, and orzo; cook until orzo is toasted and garlic fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the wine to the skillet and use your spoon to get all the brown bits off the bottom.
- Now add chicken broth, artichokes, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover, stirring every few minutes, until orzo is cooked and liquid has reduced, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add spinach and toss to combine. Nestle the chicken back into the skillet and simmer for a few extra minutes making sure chicken is cooked through. Option to top with parmesan and serve with lemon wedges.