This ONE SKILLET Chicken Sausage and Orzo Parmesan has quickly become a weekly staple in our house. One skillet, less than 30 minutes, and perfect for the whole family.
If you know you know… I’m all about the easy meals around here, and that most definitely isn’t changing anytime soon. By the end of the day, after taking care of my little man all day and squeezing in blog stuff during his naps, I’m SO tired! I need quick and easy dinners with minimal ingredients that also require minimal clean up. That is an ideal situation if you ask me, which leads me to this one skillet chicken sausage and Orzo Parmesan. You heard me right– One skillet my friends!
As Alessandro was scarfing down bowl #2, he said “oh yeah, definitely want this again. Like tomorrow”. That is saying something, my friends.
It’s seriously so good, so cheesy, so easy, and 100% family friendly! I can guarantee you will love it.
Is this One Skillet Chicken Sausage and Orzo Parmesan freezer friendly?
Sure!! Allow it to cool completely after you put the cheese on but before you pop it in the oven. Once you are ready to serve, take it out of the freezer and pop it in the oven, and follow instructions from there!
Other easy dinner ideas!
- 5 Ingredient Chicken Sausage & Orzo
- Healthy 30 minute Sheetpan Chicken Sausage and Veggies
- Sheetpan Lemon Dill Salmon and Asparagus
One Skillet Chicken Sausage and Orzo Parmesan
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2–3 1x
- 2–3 T avocado oil
- 4 organic chicken sausages, cut into rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 c dried orzo
- 2 c jarred marinara (I used Rao’s)
- 3/4 c chicken broth
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 1/4 c grated parmesan, optional
- 5–6 fresh basil leaves, rolled and thinly sliced into ribbons
- Heat avocado oil over medium high heat in a large oven-safe skillet. When hot, add chicken sausage and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Add orzo and garlic to skillet and toss around for a minute or two until orzo turns sightly golden and garlic is fragrant.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Then pour in the marinara and chicken broth, stir it up and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 10-12 minutes, until orzo is al dente. Make sure to stir every few minutes so that the orzo doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Add more chicken broth if you need it along the way.
- When orzo is perfectly cooked, scatter the parmesan, mozzarella, and red pepper flakes over the top and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. I like to broil the last 2 minutes.
- Top with the fresh basil and serve!