This One Skillet Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Orzo is our new favorite weeknight meal! It’s ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for the whole family. Our toddler, Piero, even loves it! Filled with orzo, broccoli, shallots, garlic, broth, milk, rotisserie chicken, and cheddar cheese.
It reminds me of the broccoli cheese rice casserole I would have growing up. All the same flavors, but made with orzo and slightly healthier!! It’s absolutely delicious as a main meal served with a side salad. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Simply re-heat and serve!Print
One Skillet Cheesy Broccoli Chicken & Orzo
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 1 shallot, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 1–12 oz bag broccoli florets, chopped (about 3–4 cups)
- 3 cups chicken broth, more if needed
- 1 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works great)
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 T chopped parsley, for serving, optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add shallots and cook until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add the butter, garlic, and orzo, and cook until orzo is slightly golden and toasted; being careful not to burn it; 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli to skillet and cook an additional minute or two.
- Pour in broth and 1/2 c milk, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until orzo is cooked/al dente and liquid has reduced. You may need to an additional 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Add in shredded chicken and remaining 1/2 c milk; stir and simmer another 2-3 minutes. (You want the consistency to be creamy, not soupy! Simmer for a few extra minutes if you need liquid to reduce down)
- Stir in cheddar cheese and adjust salt and pepper at this time.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve! ENJOY!!!