This One Skillet Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Orzo is he ultimate easy weeknight dinner recipe! It’s ready in less than 30 minutes and perfect for the whole family.
Orzo, broccoli, and chicken are coated in a creamy cheese sauce that simply melts in your mouth. Made in one pan and perfect for your weekly rotation!
It reminds me of the broccoli cheese rice casserole I would have growing up. All the same flavors, but made with orzo and slightly healthier! It’s absolutely delicious as a main meal served with a side salad. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Simply re-heat on the stovetop or in the microwave and serve!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Olive oil.
- Orzo pasta.
- Broccoli florets.
- Chicken broth.
- Shredded Rotisserie chicken.
- Salt + Pepper.
- Sharp cheddar cheese.
OTHER ONE SKILLET RECIPES TO TRY!
- ONE PAN DIJON CHICKEN AND POTATOES
- ONE SKILLET FRENCH ONION CHICKEN
- ONE SKILLET SPINACH ARTICHOKE CHICKEN WITH ORZO
- ONE SKILLET CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND ORZO PARMESAN
One Skillet Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Orzo
This One Skillet Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Orzo is the absolute perfect weeknight meal. It’s ready in just about 30 minutes, made in one skillet, and perfect for the whole family (toddlers included!)
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 1 shallot, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 1–12 oz bag broccoli florets, chopped (about 3–4 cups)
- 3 cups chicken broth, more if needed
- 1 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works great, however boneless skinless chicken breasts work as well)
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 T chopped parsley, for serving, optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add shallots and cook until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add the butter, garlic, and orzo, and cook until orzo is slightly golden and toasted; being careful not to burn it; 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli to skillet and cook an additional minute or two.
- Pour in broth and 1/2 c milk, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until orzo is cooked/al dente and liquid has reduced. You may need to an additional 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Add in shredded chicken and remaining 1/2 c milk; stir and simmer another 2-3 minutes. (You want the consistency to be creamy, not soupy! Simmer for a few extra minutes if you need liquid to reduce down)
- Stir in cheddar cheese and adjust salt and pepper at this time.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve! ENJOY!!!
Keywords: One pan meal, orzo recipes, easy dinner recipes, weeknight dinner, broccoli cheese