Italian Beef and Pepper Tortellini Soup
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 T olive or avocado oil
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1– 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2–3 T tomato paste
- 6 c beef broth
- 10 oz package cheese tortellini
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, more to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Freshly grated parmesan, for serving
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook, breaking up with the back of your spoon until no longer pink and fully cooked through. Drain the grease and add back to the stock pot.
- Add diced peppers to beef and onion mixture and saute another few minutes.
- Now add tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and spices; bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add in the chopped kale and tortellini, stir, and cook another 3-4 minutes, until kale has wilted.
- Serve in bowls with freshly grated parmesan.