Instant Pot Short Ribs with Creamy Parmesan Polenta.
This might just be the most epic Sunday night dinner and coziest meal of all time. I freaking love short ribs. I wanted to experiment with short ribs in the instant pot because while braising them for hours and hours results in the most tender and delicious meat, we don’t always have that kinda time! Am i right?
So here we go..
Start by generously seasoning the short ribs with salt and pepper. Add oil to your instant pot (or skillet if not using an instant pot) and select saute function. When oil is hot, working in batches, add short ribs and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add carrots, celery, onion, shallot, and garlic to pot and sauté until carrots are tender. Now add flour and tomato paste and whisk it up until creamy. Pour in that red vino and broth and give it a nice stir. Now add sun-dried tomatoes, spices, and short ribs back to the pot. Secure the lid and select the “meat/stew” function and cook at high pressure for 35 minutes. Allow the steam to naturally and slowly release by allowing it to stay on keep warm for up to 15 minutes after cooking time is finished.
Serve on top of creamy parmesan polenta and dig on in.
*If you don’t have an instant pot, you could most certainly make this in your slow cooker, just make sure to sear the short ribs in a hot skillet before transferring everything to the slow cooker. And if you have the time and would rather slow cook in the oven, by all means! Follow the same instructions using your dutch oven, however, cook in a 350 degree oven for 2.5-3hours.
Happy Sunday, friends and I hope you enjoy!!Print
Instant Pot Short Ribs with Parmesan Polenta
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2–3 T olive oil
- 3 lb bone-in short ribs
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 c red wine (I typically use a Chianti or Cabernet)
- 2 c beef broth
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/3 c oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained of the oil and chopped
- 1 T fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 T fresh parsley, chopped + a few tsp for serving
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 c water
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 c instant polenta
- 1 c grated parmesan
- 2 T butter
- Arrange short ribs on a plate, pat dry and generously season both sides with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Select ‘Saute’ function on your Instant Pot and set steam valve to ‘sealing’.
- Add a few T oil to the pot and wait for screen to say ‘hot’.
- Working in 2 batches, brown short ribs on all sides (about 5 minutes per batch). Remove from pot, transfer to a plate, and repeat with remaining short ribs.
- Now add onion, shallot, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot and saute for 5-7 minutes until carrots are slightly tender. Add flour and tomato paste and stir together until smooth and there are no clumps.
- Pour in red wine and beef broth and give it a good stir. Now add sundried tomatoes, rosemary, parsley, and remaining spices; stir it up.
- Add short ribs back to the pot and nestle them in there.
- Secure the lid, press ‘cancel’ and then select the ‘meat/stew’ function and cook at high pressure for 35 minutes. When the time is up, allow it to stay on ‘keep warm’ for up to 15 minutes so that it naturally releases the steam.
- minutes before serving, bring milk and water to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan. Slowly pour in the instant polenta while stirring continuously until creamy. Remove from heat and stir in butter, parmesan and salt/pepper to taste.
- Distribute polenta into 4 serving bowls, and top each with 2 short ribs and sauce spooned over the tops. Garnish with parsley and serve!