Why Hello there, Instant Pot Pork Carnitas.
What you’ve heard is true: the Instant Pot is a must have kitchen appliance. Life changing if you will. What used to take me 6 hours can now be ready in 30 minutes FLAT. Take these Instant Pot Pork Carnitas for example.. simply sauté the meat on all sides using the sauté function, then press cancel, pour in the marinade, and cook using the meat function/high pressure for just t h i r t y short minutes. Shred it, fry it up real quick, and voila! The crispiest and most delicious carnitas EVER. After I shred it, I like to fry it up in my cast iron skillet with a little oil and sauce from the instant pot, however you can also put it under the broiler for a few minutes as well.
The marinade is seriously bursting with amazing flavors so the chances of this not going well are slim to none, folks. We’re talking orange juice, lime juice, orange zest, beer, garlic, cumin, chipotle chili powder (my fave), etc. etc. etc.
Best Part? You could use the meat in so so so many things.. tacos, bowls, enchiladas, taquitos, nachos, egg scrambles, the possibilities are endless. And if you don’t have an Instant Pot, then you can absolutely use your Crock Pot . Make sure to sear the pork on all sides before putting it in the crockpot with the marinade. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 6-8 hours.. time range depends on your crockpot.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot and are wondering if you need one, my vote is YES.YES.AND.YES.
Cheers and Happy Sunday!Print
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
Quick and Easy Instant Pot Pork Carnitas! The most tender & delicious pork Carnitas made in less than an hour!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 3 T olive oil
- 3–5 lbs Pork Shoulder
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 c mexican beer (I used Modelo)
- 1 T cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 T chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- Cilantro, as garnish
- Jalepenos, as garnish
- In a mixing bowl or mason jar, combine lime juice, orange juice and zest, beer, and garlic; Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, oregano, chipotle chili powder, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Using this spice mixture, generously season all sides of pork.
- Select Saute function on your Instant Pot and wait until screen reads “hot”.
- Add oil to instant pot. Transfer pork to pot and sear on all sides (about 1-2 minutes per side). Remove from pot and press Cancel on the instant pot.
- Pour juice mixture into the Instant Pot, and add the Pork back to the pot. Select the meat function, turn the pressure to High, and set the time to 40 minutes. Secure the lid and turn valve to “sealing”.
- Allow the pressure to release on it’s own, then turn the valve to “venting” to fully release the remaining steam.
- Remove the pork from the instant pot and transfer to a cutting board; shred using two forks.
- Heat a few T oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, working in batches, add in the shredded pork and a few large spoonfuls of the sauce from the instant pot. Cook, tossing frequently, until crispy. *You can also put the shredded meat on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet and broil in the oven until crispy.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with chopped cilantro, jalepenos, and additional sauce if needed.