Taco Tuesdayyyyyyy, everybody! Introducing these super quick & easy Instant Pot Poblano Chicken Tacos Featuring the one & only and my new BFF, Mr. Instant Pot.
I’d been planning on making Poblano Chicken Soup tonight, but as I was cruising home from work, all I could think about were tacos. Tacos, tacos, tacos. The only thing I was missing were the tortillas, so I made a quick pit stop at one of the many local Mexican markets (perks of living in South Dallas) and grabbed some fresh corn tortillas and tomatillo salsa. Thankfully, I had everything else at home already. I would normally make my own Tomatillo salsa because its truly so easy, however, I didn’t plan ahead and tonight just wasn’t the night.
To make the chicken, press the sauté function on your instant pot and add a little olive oil. Let it heat up for a minute or so, and then add diced poblanos and onions- saute for 4-6 minutes. Now add garlic and sauté a minute more. Press Cancel on the instant pot, and add in the broth, chicken, spices, and lime juice; toss to combine. Secure the lid in place, set the steam valve to sealing, and select meat function at high pressure for 8 minutes. While this is cooking, I would suggest getting the toppings chopped and ready.
*If you do not have an instant pot, that is A-OK. Just use a medium sized skillet and sauté poblanos, onion, and garlic. Add in the chicken and spices and cook for 5-7 minutes. Once chicken is cooked, add in half the broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until liquid has reduced. Spoon into a bowl and serve!
A few suggested toppings include:
- Jalepeno slices
- Sliced Radish
- Black Beans
- Tomatillo Salsa
- lime wedges
Taco’s are great for busy weeknight dinners but also make great leftovers. Just store the meat/toppings separately, and heat up meat and tortillas before serving.
Hosting the next Taco Night is also a great excuse to get your pals together for a casual weeknight gathering and is always a crowd pleaser!
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 poblano peppers, seeds and veins removed, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces (or leave whole if you prefer shredded chicken)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c chicken broth
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
FOR THE TACOS:
- 10–12 corn tortillas
- 1 c corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 c black beans, drained and rinsed
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced Jalepenos
- Tomatillo Salsa (see recipe)
- Cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Select the saute function on your instant pot. Add poblano and onion, and saute for 4-6 minutes.
- Add garlic, and saute another minute. Press Cancel.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, and spices. Set steam valve to Sealing and select Meat Function at high pressure for 8 minutes. Allow the steam to release on it’s own, and then manually release valve to release remaining steam. When the chicken is done, use a slotted spoon to scoop the mixture into a medium sized serving bowl, leaving all but 1/4 c of the liquid behind.
- While the chicken is cooking, get out your tortillas and prepare your toppings. I like to char the tortillas over the stovetop before serving.
- To assemble, spoon beans, corn, and chicken into each tortilla and top with toppings of choice.