This Instant Pot Chicken Tinga is at the top of our list right now! It’s so full of flavor, and is super versatile, so you can have tacos one night, taco bowls the next, making your mid-week busy life a tad bit easier! Finding things to make that are quick enough to whip up during nap time or right when this babe goes to sleep are key for me right now. I’ve wasted so many things the past few months because I had these big ideas of things I wanted to whip up, but ya know.. there’s only so much you can do when you’re momming and blogging full time.
This recipe is a two step process, but super duper easy! First, we make the sauce in a food processor or blender by adding in fire-roasted diced tomatoes, garlic, chipotle chiles in adobo, chicken broth, onion, and some delicious spices. We blend that up until smooth and set aside. The second step is to heat some oil in our instant pot, sauté some onion real quick, then add in the sauce we just made, raw chicken, and a couple bay leafs, secure the lid and voila! Let that baby cook and do it’s thing and you’ll have the most delicious chicken Tinga in no time.
My sister, Natalie, who isn’t a huge cook, has made this multiple weeks in a row because they loved it that much! And she even said “it’s so easy!” Sometimes I feel like a broken record when I say that, but I wouldn’t steer ya wrong, my friends.
Here, I served it in bowls with cooked quinoa, chopped purple cabbage, tomatoes, black beans, guacamole, cotija cheese, lime, and cilantro, and they were A+++ !
I hope you try it and I hope you LOVE it! Please share with me if you do!Print
Instant Pot Chicken Tinga
- Yield: 4–6 1x
- 3 T olive or avocado oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1– 15 oz can fire roasted, diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed
- 2 T adobo sauce from the can
- 1 white onion (1/2 thinly sliced, the other half quartered)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 c chicken broth
- 2 bay leafs
- Cilantro and lime, for serving
- To your blender or food processor, add fire roasted diced tomatoes, garlic, chipotle chiles + sauce, 1/2 onion quartered, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chicken broth; pulse for 10-15 seconds, until smooth; set aside.
- Select the ‘sauce’ function on your instant pot. Wait for the screen to read “hot” and add oil and sliced onions; sauté for 1-2 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Press “cancel” on the instant pot. Pour in the sauce we just made, and add in the raw chicken breasts and bay leafs. Nestle the chicken breasts in so they are covered by the sauce.
- Secure the lid, make sure the steam valve is set to “sealing”, and cook high pressure for 12 minutes.
- When the time is up, carefully release the pressure by switching the valve to “venting”. When pressure is fully released, remove the lid and discard the bay leafs.
- Transfer the cooked chicken breasts to a cutting board or stand mixer to shred. *See Notes
- Add shredded chicken back to the instant pot, and give it a good stir. Adjust salt and pepper at this time.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with lime. You can make tacos, taco bowls, taco salads, quesadillas, etc.
*If using your stand mixer to shred, add chicken to bowl and secure the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until perfectly shredded.
*If using a cutting board to shred, use two forks to pull chicken apart until fully shredded.