Finally sharing a highly requested topic from you all: How to make the easiest oatmeal for babies!
If Piero had to choose one thing to eat in a day, I’m fairly certain it would be oatmeal. He loves it SO much. He shovels it into his mouth so hilariously fast and gets sad when it’s over.
I like to prep a big batch of this baby oatmeal and freeze it so that I have his breakfasts prepped and ready to go for about 2 weeks. I make it and then freeze it in silicone ice cube trays but baby food containers would work great also!
At around 7 months old, Piero was eating 1-2 cubes every morning with various add-ins (banana, nut butter, other fruit, etc.). Now that he is 11 months old, he eats 3-4 cubes!
I usually smash in 1/2 of a banana and stir in some nut butter (cashew, almond, or peanut). *Of course, work with your pediatrician to add in nut butter as it is one of the top allergenic foods. My pediatrician had me introduce it at around 6 months and I’ve been giving it to him ever since.
I cook Piero’s oatmeal in a non-dairy milk- usually unsweetened almond milk, but regular milk, cashew milk, or coconut will all work as well.
I keep it very simple just oats, almond milk, and cinnamon. That way, I can occasionally change up the way I prepare it.. Even tho he is definitely a banana & peanut butter kind of guy 😉
He gets very messy at meal times, but it’s something I’ve accepted because I know its really good for sensory development. I always keep these wash cloths nearby for easy clean up.
If you aren’t looking for your little one to get messy, I would suggest not putting the bowl of oatmeal on his tray and loading it on a spoon and either handing it to him or feeding it to him.
Now that Piero is a little older, I serve it in this bowl and put it on his high chair tray. He currently (11 months old) prefers to eat everything with his hands, but I still make sure to have the spoon nearby so he will hopefully one day go back to using his utensils 🙂
SHOP THIS POST!
Here are a mix-in ideas!
- Smashed banana, a tsp of nut butter, cinnamon
- Smashed blueberries, banana, nut butter
- Sauteed apple with cinnamon
- Smashed strawberries, raspberries, and almond butter
- Smashed Banana and coconut flakes
- Add 1 tsp of Flaxseed + Chia Seeds to any combination
How to Make Oatmeal For Babies
- Yield: 12–14 servings 1x
- 3 c organic rolled oats *see notes
- 2 c water
- 4 c non-dairy milk of choice (I prefer unsweetened almond milk)
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Add-in ideas: smashed banana, nut butter, flaxseed, blueberries
- Add oats, water, and milk to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked and creamy.
- Stir in the cinnamon and allow oats to cool. Then, transfer to ice cube trays or baby food containers and store in the freezer for 3-4 weeks.
*Keep in mind, I like to prep a big batch that will last about 2 weeks. If you want to make a smaller batch, simply double the liquid to oat ratio. 3 cups oats to 6 cups liquid, etc. Hope your little one enjoys!!