Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce is not nearly as difficult as you might think! It no joke only takes 15 minutes total, and is more delicious than any store bought sauce out there.
Start by heating the oil in a medium- sized sauce pan. Add the flour and whisk until the consistency is smooth. Stir in spices, and then gradually whisk in chicken broth. Continue stirring to remove any lumps. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 10 minutes. And you are d.o.n.e.
This sauce can be used immediately or simply store it in a mason jar in the fridge until you’re ready to use! I can assure you as soon as you realize how incredibly easy and delicious this homemade enchilada sauce is, you will NEVER go back to the store-bought jarred stuff!Print
Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- 2 T vegetable or avocado oil
- 2 T all-purpose flour (can sub gluten-free flour)
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1/4 c chili powder
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in flour until there aren’t any lumps. Stir in spices.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth, until no more lumps remain. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use immediately or store in a mason jar in the fridge until you’re ready to use.