Healthy One Pot Sweet Potato Turkey Chili made with lean ground turkey, sweet potatoes, kidney beans, tomatoes, and lots of flavorful spices. Such a delicious and easy lunch or dinner recipe to make!
It’s ready in under 30 minutes and is loaded with flavor. I love how versatile chili is.. you can add really anything you have on hand.. any kind of beans, veggies, even quinoa! Feel free to mix it up depending on what you have on hand.
Start by cooking up your ground turkey in a few T olive or avocado oil. I love using Avocado oil whenever possible because it not only has a higher smoke point, it contains vitamin E and healthy fats from avocados. It’s also known to be high in oleic acid, which is an unsaturated fat.
Anywho, cook up your turkey until no longer pink and cooked through. Then add in your onion and garlic and cook another few minutes. Next, add in the tomatoes, broth, beans, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, and all spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or so, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Serve in bowls topped with avocado and green onion and enjoy!!Print
Healthy One Pot Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- 2 T olive or avocado oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1– 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1– 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1– 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c chicken broth, more as needed
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- green onion
- Shredded cheese, optional
- Fritos (I love the ones at Trader Joe’s!)
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium high heat. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with the back of your spoon until fully cooked through.
- Add onion and garlic and cook another 3-4 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Now add in sweet potato, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, broth, and all spices. Stir it up then bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer with the lid on for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Serve in bowls topped with avocado, sliced green onion, and jalapeño.