Say hello to the best of the best Haricots Verts with Bacon and Fried Shallots. They are the perfect side dish to a variety of grilled meats or fish, and are loaded with crispy bacon, garlic, and topped off with the most delicious fried shallots.
We celebrated Christmas with Alessandro’s family last weekend, and these were a total hit! We served them with grilled lamb with mint sauce, crispy roasted potatoes, & roasted cauliflower- it was an outstanding combo, but these would also be delicious with grilled fish, chicken, or steak.
This recipe will serve about 8 people, so feel free to cut it in half, however, they are delicious re-heated so having leftovers isn’t the worst thing. 🙂
I hope everyone enjoys the holidays with friends, family, and hopefully lots of delicious food!Print
Haricots Verts with Bacon and Crispy Shallots
These Haricots Verts with Bacon and Crispy Fried Shallots are the perfect side dish to a variety of grilled meats, and the perfect addition to your Holiday Spread!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 6–8 1x
- 3–4 T canola oil
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 lbs Haricots Verts
- 5 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the haricots verts to boiling water and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes. Drain the beans and immediately put into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon in a large cast iron skillet until crisp, 5-6 minutes. Remove the bacon and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Remove all but 1 T bacon grease from the pan.
- Add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes to the pan and saute until translucent and soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add haricots verts back to pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until they slowly become golden brown and crispy. Be careful not to burn. Drain the shallots and set aside.
- Return the bacon to the pan of haricots verts, squeeze in the lemon, and toss to combine. Top with crispy shallots, season with salt and pepper and serve!