Ground Turkey & Sweet Potato Lettuce Cups. *Whole 30, paleo, gluten free* 1-2-3-GO.
Fastest lunch ever— I’m talking 20 minutes or less. It’s made in just ONE skillet, so we’re talkin’ minimal clean up. Ideal. Also makes for some delicious leftovers– even more ideal.
I love anything Chipotle flavored, it adds the perfect spicy, smoky, delicious flavor to things. You can use as little or as much chipotle paste as you’d like here– I added a large teaspoon, so feel free to adjust as needed. I also am using chipotle paste in this recipe, however, you can also use chipotle chiles in adobo sauce from a can as well. The chipotle paste is just a little bit faster since you don’t have to mess with removing the seeds and chopping them up, yada yada.
For this recipe, I would go ahead and prepare everything before you get started because once you start, you’ll be movin’ & groovin’. So, go ahead and get your sweet potatoes peeled and diced, the peppers, onions, garlic, everything.. It’s made in just one skillet and will be ready in less than 20 minutes.
This recipe serves about 3 people, however, its perfect for one person as well because the leftover turkey sweet potato mixture is SO tasty and will last for a few days in the fridge. I ate them in lettuce cups one day, and re-heated and served on a salad the next. Simply re-heat the meat mixture separately and then add the toppings of choice.Print
Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Lettuce Cups
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- 3 T avocado oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 c yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tsp chipotle paste (or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded and finely diced)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 c chicken bone broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Butter lettuce, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, as garnish
- sliced jalapeños, for serving
- Salsa, for serving
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with the back of your spoon until fully cooked through.
- Add onion, garlic, jalepeno, chipotle paste, and spices; cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add chicken broth and sweet potatoes; give it a stir and cook another 7-8 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork tender. You can add a lid the last few minutes to help cook those potatoes.
- Serve warm in lettuce cups with fresh cilantro, jalapeños, and salsa.