- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c white onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1– 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano)
- 1– 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes; sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Using the back of your spoon, gently break up the tomatoes.
- Add in remaining spices and toss in the bunch of fresh basil (Do not chop this up as we are leaving it in to flavor the sauce, but will be removing it later)
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a jar to store in the fridge for up to 5 days.