These Easy Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas are simple, delicious, and the absolute perfect weeknight slow cooker recipe.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s a completely hands off meal! Other than having to quickly shred the chicken once it’s cooked, just dump everything into your crockpot and let it do all of the work!
- A meal the whole family will love! My 3 year old asked for seconds the other night, so I’ll call that a win!
- Enjoy the flavors of chicken enchiladas without all of the work! This enchilada casserole is by far one of the easiest things to make, and it’s always delicious.
- EASY. Emphasis on the easy. I love knowing the crockpot is doing the magic for me. This is a lazy girl’s chicken enchilada recipe, if you will.
Ingredients you’ll need
These slow cooker cheesy chicken enchiladas are so simple only requiring a short list of ingredients!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts. I like to use chicken breasts for this recipe, however, you can definitely use chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Red enchilada sauce. As for store-bought enchilada sauce, I love the Hatch brand, Siete Foods, or Trader Joe’s enchilada sauce.
- Taco seasoning. (I love Siete Foods taco seasoning but any will work!)
- Black beans.
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Corn tortillas. You can also use flour tortillas if you prefer. I like the texture slightly more with corn, and often times feel like flour tortillas get more soggy, but you do you!
- Salt and pepper.
- Toppings of choice.– I prefer green onion, cilantro, lime wedges, jalapeño, greek yogurt/sour cream, guacamole.
This is such a healthy and simple gluten free weeknight crockpot recipe- you are going to absolutely love it!
- Add boneless skinless chicken breasts to the crockpot and season both sides with salt and pepper. Then, sprinkle on the taco seasoning followed by 3 cups of red enchilada sauce (this is about 2-12 oz bottles), making sure that chicken is fully submerged in the enchilada sauce. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 2-4, depending on the strength of your slow cooker.
- When chicken is fully cooked, shred using two forks right in the sauce. OR, you can transfer the cooked chicken breasts to a kitchen aid stand mixer and using the paddle attachment, shred it that way. That is by far my favorite hassle-free way to shred chicken.
- Now that you have nicely shredded chicken, it’s time to add the finishing touches. Add your black beans, cheese, and cut up tortillas to the slow cooker (corn or flour will work, although I prefer corn). Give it a big toss until everything is coated in the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Put the lid back on for another 30 minutes or so until the cheese is nice and melted and tortillas have softened. *This can be done on the low cook setting or even the keep warm function of your crock pot.
- Serve warm in bowls with toppings of choice! I prefer greek yogurt (or sour cream), guacamole, diced tomatoes, jalapeño, green onion, cilantro, and lime. Add whatever you desire and enjoy!
What to serve with Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This is one of those meals that doesn’t necessarily require any sides at all! Most of the time, we will make a bowl out of it and load it up with all of our favorite toppings, sometimes we even add some chopped romaine lettuce for a little crunch.
If you do want to serve with something additional, rice and beans is always a great option, although the enchilada casserole does already have black beans in it. Cauliflower rice would be great on the side, too. Or just a big salad!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! It’s easy, simple, and incredibly tasty!
Other easy weeknight dinner recipes to try!
- Simple Summer Pasta with Burrata
- Easy Sheetpan Eggplant Parmesan
- Easy Red Lentil Pasta Primavera
- 5 Ingredient Chicken Sausage and Orzo Skillet
- 5 Ingredient Italian Sausage and Zucchini Orzo
- Easy Weeknight Baked Chicken with tomatoes and tzatziki
- Little Gem Salad with Radish and Lemon Vinaigrette
- One Pot Hamburger Helper
- Lemon Dill Chicken Bites with Asparagus
- White Wine Artichoke Chicken
- 5 Ingredient Spaghetti Squash Boats
- One Skillet French Onion Chicken
As always, if you make this recipe, a comment and star rating below is SO greatly appreciated!! It’s helpful for me and for other readers. Thank you so much for being here!!Print
Easy Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas
These Easy Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas are the ultimate busy weeknight dinner recipe. Stress free, healthy, and so delicious!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: crock pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 2 large chicken breasts
- 24 oz red enchilada sauce (about 3 cups)
- 2 T taco seasoning (I love Siete Foods taco seasoning but any will work!)
- 1– 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into 2–3 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- toppings of choice– green onion, cilantro, lime, jalapeño, greek yogurt/sour cream, guacamole, etc.
- Add chicken to slow cooker and season well with salt and pepper. Add taco seasoning and enchilada sauce making sure the sauce covers the chicken completely. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
- When chicken is cooked, shred using two forks or by transferring to your stand mixer with paddle attachment (my personal favorite way to shred chicken). Add shredded chicken back to slow cooker.
- Stir in black beans, tortillas, and 1 cup cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top, cover and cook on low another 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tortillas have softened.
- Serve warm in bowls with toppings of choice.