These Coconut Curry Chicken Satay Skewers are so incredibly flavorful, tender, and so delicious.
It’s totally bringing me back to all of those dreamy meals we had in Bali.. the curry, coconut, texture, aroma, etc etc. Mmmm gimme all of that yum and please take me back.
Bali is definitely the most magical place i’ve ever been. Yes, it’s quite the trek over there, but truly so so worth it. I would go back tomorrow if I could—just imagine the world’s nicest humans, food that is beyond amazing, breathtakingly beautiful jungle views, and the most fascinating culture. I mean, I don’t even know where to begin. I will write a separate post later about our trip and all the must see’s & do’s, so stay tuned!
My love for curry and coconut really came to light on that trip. I seriously crave it allll the time, and will go as far to say I have dreams about it.
A few quick things to note about this Coconut Curry Chicken Satay:
- It can be prepped ahead of time until you’re ready to crank up the grill. In fact, it’s so much more flavorful and delicious if you do. So throw it all together and go on your merry little way.
- The sauce is heaven in a bowl. It would also be delish with shrimp, spring rolls, or even poured over rice.
- These are a great party food– easy to prepare, pretty presentation, and a big time crowd pleaser!
I would highly recommend adding these to your next meal rotation. Alessandro already requested I make these again next week if that’s sayin’ anything. Although, i’m not entirely sure if it is considering he is known as the family garbage disposal and eats anything and everything. I conveniently ran across the below pic of him devouring Pad Thai in Ubud. He’s not going to be happy that i’m sharing this with you all, so shh.
Lastly, I served these coconut curry chicken satay with steamed jasmine rice and snow peas, but feel free to adjust accordingly. You can also pair with your favorite dipping sauce. The recipe calls for peanut sauce, but not an absolute must! These will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, so it could be a great lunch prep option also.Print
Coconut Curry Chicken Satay
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 10–12 skewers (Wooden skewers are a great option and easy cleanup!)
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 3/4 c coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T soy sauce (sub Tamari if you are gluten free)
- 1 T honey
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1/2 c creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T honey
- 3 T soy sauce (sub Tamari if you are gluten free)
- 1/4 c hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- salt, to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- Slice chicken into strips and set aside. Combine remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl to create marinade; whisk to combine.
- Marinate the chicken in the sauce in the fridge for 1-2 hours, if possible. (The longer the better!)
- Thread the chicken on skewers and brush with any remaining marinade.
- For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium sized and whisk until creamy.
- Grill chicken for 8-10 minutes, flipping half way through, until the meat is fully cooked.
- Garnish chicken with cilantro, and serve.