It’s time to hop on the grill, my friends!! These Chicken Tikka Masala Skewers with Jalepeno Cilantro Yogurt Sauce are seriously divine.
There’s just something about grilled chicken skewers. The smell, the taste, the look, the vibe. It’s summery and delicious. These Chicken Tikka Skewers are exactly that, but more flavorful than ever before. We marinate our chicken in greek yogurt and coconut milk for extra tenderness, and lots of spices for added flavor. You just can’t go wrong here. Not possible.
Have you always wanted to grill but never knew where to begin? That was exactly me!! I’m not a grill master by any means, but I can make some damn delicious things, and it’s all thanks to my new Pellet Grill and having the courage to just get out there. The best place to start is, well, anywhere!! It’s not nearly as intimidating as it seems, and just like with everything, you’ll learn as you go!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala recipe has been one of my most popular recipes on the blog for a few years now, and for good reason!! It’s bursting with flavor and just absolutely delicious. I wanted to create something with a similar flavor profile, just as delicious obviously, but new and different. These Chicken Tikka Masala Skewers with Jalepeno Cilantro Yogurt Sauce are grilled to perfection, juicy, and bursting with flavor. I like to serve it with jasmine rice and grilled naan bread for the most perfect and satisfying meal.
The recipe makes enough for about 4 people, however, the leftovers are just as (if not more) delicious! It would be a perfect lunch to take to work with you the next day or super fast dinner the following evening!Print
Chicken Tikka Masala Skewers
- Yield: 5 1x
For the Chicken:
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into one inch pieces (can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 c greek yogurt
- 1/4 c full-fat coconut milk
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced (or ginger paste)
- 1 T Garam Masala (Indian spice blend found in bulk spice section)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 9–10 wooden skewers (soaked for 30 minutes prior to grilling)
- Jasmine Rice, for serving (can sub cauliflower rice)
- Naan Bread, for serving
- Cilantro, as garnish
For the Jalepeno Cilantro Yogurt Sauce:
- 2 jalepenos, stems and seeds removed
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 c greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 1/2– 2 small limes
- 1 1/2 c cilantro
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- To make the chicken: add olive oil, greek yogurt, coconut milk, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, and all spices to a large mixing bowl; give it a good stir. Now add chicken and toss to evenly coat. Cover and transfer to fridge to marinate for 30 minutes- 1 hour.
- For the Jalepeno Cilantro Yogurt Sauce: While your chicken is marinating, make your sauce! Add all items to your blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Adjust salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste. Cover and store in the fridge until you are ready to serve. *this will keep for 2-3 days.
- To make the skewers: Soak wooden skewers in water (easiest on a rimmed sheetpan) for about 30 minutes before threading the chicken on and grilling. This helps prevent them from burning on the grill.
- To grill the skewers: Pat skewers dry, thread the chicken on and pre-heat your grill or grill pan to medium high heat (around 375 degrees). Make sure to bring chicken to room temperature before placing on grill. Grill for 10-15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so, until no longer pink and completely cooked through. When finished cooking, wrap chicken in foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with rice, naan bread, and yogurt sauce. Enjoy!!
If you want to bake in the oven: arrange skewers onto parchment or foil lined baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway, until fully cooked through. Remove from oven and wrap with foil for 5-10 minutes. This helps to lock in those juices!