Chicken Chorizo and Crispy Brussels Sprouts Tostadas
- For the chorizo:
- 2 T olive or canola oil
- 1 lb ground chicken chorizo
- For the butternut squash puree:
- 6 c cubed butternut squash
- 1–2 T olive oil
- 2 T honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- For the Brussels Sprouts:
- 3 c shaved brussels sprouts
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2–3 T olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- For the tostadas:
- 6 corn tortillas, or store bought tostada rounds
- 2 avocados, for topping
- 2 jalepenos, for topping
- mexican crema, for topping
- Fresh Cilantro, for topping
- lime wedges, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 and line baking sheet with foil.
- Toss cubed butternut squash with oil, honey, salt, pepper, and cumin. Place onto baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- If you’re making your own tostada shells, brush each side of the tortillas with oil and bake at 400 for 4 minutes per side, or until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large saute pan. Once oil is hot, but not smoking, add chorizo and continue breaking up until cooked all the way through. Set aside.
- Place shaved brussels sprouts into medium sized mixing bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Heat up cast iron skillet.
- When skillet is hot, add brussels sprouts and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Option to top off under the broiler for a minute or two.
- When a toothpick inserts into the squash easily, it’s roasted and ready to roll. Remove from oven and place into mixing bowl or blender.
- Add heavy cream to squash, and puree using either blender or hand blender. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Spread a thin layer of pureed squash onto each tostada, followed by chorizo, brussels sprouts, and allllllll the fixin’s.
- Serve with an ice cold brew, optional.