I have something really amazing for you today, guys. Cheesy Kale Pesto Lasagna. I’m talking extreme cheesy deliciousness you don’t want to pass up.
I’ve had lots of requests for vegetarian meals lately, so it’s top of my list right now! This lasagna is vegetarian and seriously perfect for Sunday family dinner. It can be made ahead and simply popped in the oven before you’re ready to eat. Just all around amazing
Anywho, how were your alls weekends? We had some friends over yesterday to watch the KU vs Baylor Basketball game, so I made a simple brunch spread, a lot of which I prepped the night before. Breakfast casserole, French toast casserole, a simple arugula salad, and big bowl of fresh fruit. We love to entertain and have people over, and a brunch party is always so fun. Mimosas and all! Now that we have little Piero, having people over to our house is amazing because I can just go back and put him down for a nap in his crib when the time comes instead of him hanging out in his stroller for hours on end!
Is this Cheesy Kale Pesto Lasagna freezer friendly?
You bet your bottom dollar it is!! This is one of the things I prepped and froze before I gave birth to Piero. It was the perfect cozy meal and seriously so delicious. It’s best if you take the lasagna out of the freezer 24 hours prior to baking it. However, if you forget, no worries! Pop it in the oven straight from the freezer, just bake it a little bit longer to make sure the entire dish is heated through. I promise, you can’t mess it up.
If you would like to make this for a friend, assemble the lasagna and let cool completely. They can either bake it or pop it in the freezer for a rainy day. If they plan on making it that evening, I like to drop it off with fresh basil for serving and a side salad. They will be SO BEYOND EXCITED. I promise!Print
Cheesy Kale Pesto Lasagna (Freezer-Friendly!)
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
For the Garlicky Kale:
- 2 T Olive oil
- 7 c fresh kale, removed from the stem, roughly chopped (about 3 c cooked/frozen)
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
For the cheese sauce:
- 1/2 c butter (1 stick)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c flour
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 2 c milk (I used 2%)
- 2 c chicken broth (can sub vegetable broth)
- 1 c shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 c grated parmesan
- Salt + Pepper
- 16 oz whole milk ricotta
- 1 egg
For the lasagna:
- 1 c basil pesto, homemade or store-bought (about 8 oz if store-bought)
- 12 no-boil lasagna sheets
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c grated parmesan
- Fresh basil, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9 x 14 casserole dish; set aside.
- To make the Kale: Heat 2 T oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped kale and cook for a few minutes until it starts to shrink down. Now add garlic and cook another 3-4 minutes, until kale is completely wilted and garlic is fragrant. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce: melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, oregano, and basil, and stir until melted. Gradually whisk in flour until all clumps are gone. Now pour in milk and chicken broth and continue stirring. Bring to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken. Reduce heat to low and stir in the mozzarella and parmesan until melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the ricotta: Add ricotta to a bowl and fold in the egg until completely incorporated; set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna: add 3/4 c cheese sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with 3-4 lasagna sheets. Spread 1/2 of the ricotta mixture on top, followed by 1/2 of the garlicky kale, and 1/2 of the basil pesto. Add another 3/4 c cheese sauce followed by 3-4 more lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture, kale, and pesto. Add another 3/4 c cheese sauce followed by 3-4 lasagna noodles. Pour the remaining cheese sauce on top and sprinkle on the shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
- Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Top with fresh basil and serve!