This is a quick & easy marinara Sauce recipe that takes less than 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights!
Everyone needs a super easy marinara sauce recipe to keep in their back pocket for those busy days. It’s one of those things that is actually quite simple, but can seem a little intimidating if you’ve never made your own before.
This marinara sauce is very simple, and can be ready in just about 30 minutes. It’s loaded with true Italian flavors: onion, garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, oregano and basil, and it’s also gluten-free, paleo, and Whole 30 approved, depending on your preference.
Considering I married an Italian , we like to treat ourselves to pasta at least once a week, so I paired this delicious sauce with orecchiette, but any other pasta would be delicious as well. You could also use it in a simple pasta bake, or store in a jar in the fridge for chicken parmesan, eggplant parmesan, grilled chicken, etc. It will last in the fridge for about 5 days or so. This sauce is definitely one of our go-to’s.. it’s more fresh than store-bought jarred marinara and I like that you can control what’s in it. If you don’t like a little kick, then simply use less red pepper flakes or leave out all together.
Also, what better day to enjoy a big bowl of pasta than SUNDAY? I hope you love it as much as we do!!Print
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c white onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1– 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano)
- 1– 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes; sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Using the back of your spoon, gently break up the tomatoes.
- Add in remaining spices and toss in the bunch of fresh basil (Do not chop this up as we are leaving it in to flavor the sauce, but will be removing it later)
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a jar to store in the fridge for up to 5 days.