Spaghetti Squash with Roasted tomatoes, artichokes, and basil pesto. Perfect for meal prep, but also makes for an easy & healthy weeknight dinner.
Holy cannoli, this turned out so freaking delicious!! I’m very happy about this right now even though my feet are killing me. I woke up this morning, went on a walk, then went to three different grocery stores (whyyyy), then cooked all afternoon, got some pretty photos, and now here I am plopped on the couch writing this post.
This dish has a lot going on, but let me tell you somethin’- I was able to cut down on some time by roasting the spaghetti squash, tomatoes, and artichokes all on the same sheet pan. Yep- pretty groovy. While the squash and things were roasting, I made a quick batch of pesto and got my chicken ready to cook. You can definitely use store-bought jarred pesto here if you’d like, but homemade pesto really doesn’t take much time (maybe 5 minutes), and is truly so much better, but no judgements either way!
I marinated the chicken in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper for about an hour, but that’s not totally necessary- just whatever you have time for. I waited until there was about 20 minutes left for the squash, tomatoes, and artichokes, and then I I put the chicken into a hot skillet to cook. Once the chicken is cooked, tightly wrap in foil and let rest until you are ready to serve. This just helps to lock in the juices, and I find my chicken to be much more juicy and delicious this way.
Assemble your bowls or Meal Prep Containers by starting with an even layer of spaghetti squash, then adding in the chicken, tomatoes, artichokes, and finishing with a generous dollop of Pesto. Done and done! Now ENJOY!!Print
For the Chicken:
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 c olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
For the Bowls:
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 lb grape tomatoes
- 2– 12 oz jars of quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 2–3 T olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c basil pesto, homemade or store-bought (recipe below)
For the pesto:
- 2 c fresh basil
- 3/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 c grated parmesan
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add chicken to a large ziplock bag with olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Shake to combine.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and brush with olive oil.
- Place each spaghetti squash half cut side down onto foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove sheet pan from oven.
- Add tomatoes and artichokes to the same sheet pan; drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Return to the oven for 25-30 more minutes, or until squash is cooked and tomatoes and artichokes are nicely roasted.
- If you are making your own basil, now is the time to do so by adding all ingredients to your blender or food processor and blending until smooth. Store in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- To make the chicken, heat up 1-2 T of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes per side (depending on the size of your chicken). When chicken is cooked, wrap in foil and let rest until you are ready to serve or assemble.
- To assemble the bowls, separate the spaghetti squash into strands using a fork and add to each bowl or container. Top with tomatoes, artichokes, chicken, and a dollop of pesto.